Glass anemone shrimp

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hubbies impulse purchase this week is this little guy. Introducing our glass anemone shrimp...yet to be named. Any ideas for names??

09252236-7EAE-4643-8794-3C1742D4053F.jpeg

FartyParty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about a name, but some advice from someone who had several of those, they ate three rose tips before I witnessed that they were the culprit.

OP
OP
kirstyflash

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about a name, but some advice from someone who had several of those, they ate three rose tips before I witnessed that they were the culprit.
Ooooo das no good. Will inform the man of the tanks. Thanks for the info

FartyParty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI - I think I see two shrimp in your picture: a sexy shrimp and a porcelin crab. To be clear, I was referring to my sexy shrimp. I’m sure if you keep yours well fed you will be fine, however I had 5 of them in my JBJ 12 gallon cube and they decimated my anemones. They are listed as “reef safe” but I don’t agree after witnessing mine. I eventually borrowed my friends anglerfish to “clean house”.

I’ve also had porcelain crabs and they have been harmless, and fun to watch during plankton feeding with the sweepers. I always had trouble with getting them to host, though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kirstyflash

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI - I think I see two shrimp in your picture: a sexy shrimp and a porcelin crab. To be clear, I was referring to my sexy shrimp. I’m sure if you keep yours well fed you will be fine, however I had 5 of them in my JBJ 12 gallon cube and they decimated my anemones. They are listed as “reef safe” but I don’t agree after witnessing mine. I eventually borrowed my friends anglerfish to “clean house”.

I’ve also had porcelain crabs and they have been harmless, and fun to watch during plankton feeding with the sweepers. I always had trouble with getting them to host, though.
Thanks yes the porcelain crabs came with the nem when we got it several months ago and have hosted it ever since. We only have one of the shrimp and he hasn’t gone in the nem yet, just hovered around, I’m guessing he’s getting the mucous slowly so if he does try hosting he will be safe. The porcelain crabs will defend the nem too, my clowns wanted to host in it but the crabs sent them packing and they found the Duncan was more desirable. Will definitely be keeping an eye on him

OP
OP
kirstyflash

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our lfs has one that came in with all but one of its fans busted off...got bashed by a fellow porcelain crab. I have been keeping an eye on him as they have been slowly getting him healthy over the past few months. He has shed several times and now has all legs and one pincer and they are happy to let him go. Since I have been keeping my eye on him, they have him on hold for me. Thinking of picking him up next week

OP
OP
kirstyflash

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@forgetfulreefer btw love your bubble tip. Amazing colour. We only get green or the pink coloured ones here. I’m keep Ng my eyes open for a rainbow

forgetfulreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@forgetfulreefer btw love your bubble tip. Amazing colour. We only get green or the pink coloured ones here. I’m keep Ng my eyes open for a rainbow
picture doesnt do it justice it has purple green a little yellow as well as some rose coloring. My emerald crab has seemed to joined my other one in this anemone also

forgetfulreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picture doesnt do it justice it has purple green a little yellow as well as some rose coloring. My emerald crab has seemed to joined my other one in this anemone also
Also he was much bigger when i got him but i dint add him slow enough he split the next day after i put him in the tank now i have an extra one!

OP
OP
kirstyflash

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to have a good look to spot him
Also he was much bigger when i got him but i dint add him slow enough he split the next day after i put him in the tank now i have an extra one!
Bonus! I’ve been wanting our big one to split so I can get more porcelain crabs...might just have to buy more nems!

OP
OP
kirstyflash

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday he decided Mammoth, our huge trochus was his Uber

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back