Glass lids

Taylah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard that glass lids are bad for corals because the water drops that drop from the lid burn the corals due to the high salt concentration. Can someone confirm if this is true or not, Thankyou!

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope! Evaporated water is 100% fresh water so no harm due to ‘falling salt’ glass lids do have a reputation for blocking some PAR (light) so if you’re looking to have acros, a mesh lid may be a better option. However, if you’re looking for a tank to host corals that are not light-hungry (mushrooms, most softies, leathers, etc) then a glass lid might be good for you to reduce the need to top-off the water. Good luck!

VAFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If glass lids are kept clean the only par loss is at the hinge and is very minor. I have a glass lid in a mixed reef tank and my acros are doing fine.

OP
OP
T

Taylah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope! Evaporated water is 100% fresh water so no harm due to ‘falling salt’ glass lids do have a reputation for blocking some PAR (light) so if you’re looking to have acros, a mesh lid may be a better option. However, if you’re looking for a tank to host corals that are not light-hungry (mushrooms, most softies, leathers, etc) then a glass lid might be good for you to reduce the need to top-off the water. Good luck!

Thanks for the informational reply!! :))

OP
OP
T

Taylah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If glass lids are kept clean the only par loss is at the hinge and is very minor. I have a glass lid in a mixed reef tank and my acros are doing fine.

Would you be able to post a photo of your tank with the lid and the corals?? Thanks

VAFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you be able to post a photo of your tank with the lid and the corals?? Thanks

20200507_122124.jpg

OP
OP
T

Taylah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! If you get a glass lid, you’ll probably be able to save a couple bucks on an ATO though. I had to buy one for all of my tanks cause I like a rimless look. The good ones aren’t cheap!

I got a lid with my tank (aquaone mini reef) however there’s heaps of gaps for the jumpers in the tank :( might see if I can custom make a lid that fits completely:)

VAFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a lid with my tank (aquaone mini reef) however there’s heaps of gaps for the jumpers in the tank :( might see if I can custom make a lid that fits completely:)
The glass lid will help with evaporation. If you have fish that could jump you either need the lid to fit tight or add plastic mesh or grid pieces to the areas not covered by the lid.

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the Marineland 220g? Mine has the canopy with glass cover's. I agree they keep evaporation and salt creep down, however, I'm battling tank temperatures rising with the three XR30 G4 LEDs I'm running. I would probably welcome the extra cooling I'd get from evaporation, however, how would that evaporation and salt creep affect the lights?

20200604_142308.jpg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard that glass lids are bad for corals because the water drops that drop from the lid burn the corals due to the high salt concentration. Can someone confirm if this is true or not, Thankyou!
Not bad the water drops are mostly pure water. However any salt crust that may accumulate and drop on a coral wouldnt be good but is highly unlikely. I use a glass lid. Main problem is the sun heats my tank to 90f on hot days. Normal days its at 80f.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back