Glass or acrylic

mottomegl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a new reef tank I am having a custom 400 gallon built 6 feet long 4 feet wide 3 tall Do I have it built out of acrylic or glass I was told glass could possibly blow apart do to the water pressure I need people that have these size tank tell me what they used. I was also told about acrylic scratching

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef = glass unless you want to deal with getting rid of scratches on the acrylics.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acrylic, and I like it because it is much clearer. But no matter how careful you are, you will get scratches, even if they are micro.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acrylic, and I like it because it is much clearer. But no matter how careful you are, you will get scratches, even if they are micro.
I am getting around that by keeping a bare bottom FOWLR, no CUC, and no fish like trigger or puffer but reef tank is a different story

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it true the pressure could cause the glass to blow apart saw some videos of it
I doubt that as glass is very brittle and there is very give if any before it cracks

Acrylic does bow if it’s not properly supported.

Sounds like I’m trashing acrylic tanks and im not as most of my tanks are acrylic. Just answering his reef tank question.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting around that by keeping a bare bottom FOWLR, no CUC, and no fish like trigger or puffer but reef tank is a different story
I just accepted the fact that it will happen. I had a 220 previously for 10 years, and I had one major stretch. All other ones were visible, but only if you were looking for them. I am using the Hammerhead glass cleaner now, and I am pretty happy with it. The mag floats are awful. I will try Mr. Clean pads per @vetteguy53081 recommendation for larger parts of the tank and be more careful with the Hammerhead near the sand. I wonder how long that will work before I put some stretches in there.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass can also scratch if one isn't careful. You cannot buff out glass scratches that I am aware of but maybe there is a way that I've not heard of. Acrylic on the other hand you can buff out the scratches. So there is that to consider.

Some hobbyist will recommend acrylic for larger displays due to thicker panels and how they are assembled, bonded together. Some will also point out that acrylic is lighter so again a boost for larger displays.

I think at the end of the day the onus is on the hobbyist to make a list of pro, con, and make the decision based off the results.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass can also scratch if one isn't careful. You cannot buff out glass scratches that I am aware of but maybe there is a way that I've not heard of. Acrylic on the other hand you can buff out the scratches. So there is that to consider.

Some hobbyist will recommend acrylic for larger displays due to thicker panels and how they are assembled, bonded together. Some will also point out that acrylic is lighter so again a boost for larger displays.

I think at the end of the day the onus is on the hobbyist to make a list of pro, con, and make the decision based off the results.

Glass can be polished. Will require draining, cerium oxide, a DA polisher, and hours of your life.

I’d always lean glass but I’m also not planning a 400g tank. There is a cross over point where you’d need laminated glass, so you’re halfway into plastics already.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just accepted the fact that it will happen. I had a 220 previously for 10 years, and I had one major stretch. All other ones were visible, but only if you were looking for them. I am using the Hammerhead glass cleaner now, and I am pretty happy with it. The mag floats are awful. I will try Mr. Clean pads per @vetteguy53081 recommendation for larger parts of the tank and be more careful with the Hammerhead near the sand. I wonder how long that will work before I put some stretches in there.
I am using these and have found them to be quite effective.., but again I don’t need to deal with reef purple p precipitation/deposit that I’m forgetting the name.

IMG_0864.jpeg IMG_0865.jpeg

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am getting a new reef tank I am having a custom 400 gallon built 6 feet long 4 feet wide 3 tall Do I have it built out of acrylic or glass I was told glass could possibly blow apart do to the water pressure I need people that have these size tank tell me what they used. I was also told about acrylic scratching
This sounds like a @Joe Glass Cages question.

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, anything over 300 gallons should be acrylic and anything over 500 gallons must be acrylic.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back