Acrylic or Glass for tank in 10ft length and 36-40in tall?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I am back in action after some unexpected life challenges. Plans have slightly changed since I am now debating between a Fowlr or planted discus tank, but it looks like I have narrowed in on my desired tank size. I am wanting either a 120Lx36Dx36H or 120Lx36Dx40H. Problem is I am not seeing many options for a tank with this length/height combo. Any recommendations on who to go with when going with a tank this tall? Along with if I should go glass or acrylic? On the west coast thanks!

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I am back in action after some unexpected life challenges. Plans have slightly changed since I am now debating between a Fowlr or planted discus tank, but it looks like I have narrowed in on my desired tank size. I am wanting either a 120Lx36Dx36H or 120Lx36Dx40H. Problem is I am not seeing many options for a tank with this length/height combo. Any recommendations on who to go with when going with a tank this tall? Along with if I should go glass or acrylic? On the west coast thanks!
So very big. I know a lot of people get custom made tanks. Would waterbox be available for you?

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that size you are going to be looking at acrylic. A glass tank that size would probably take machinery to move. Even an acrylic tank that size is going to be in the 500-600 lb range. Are you going to have access on the front and the back of the tank ? With those dimensions maintenance is going to be a pain if you need to reach the back. Granted you are going fowlr so that may not be as big an issue.

The 10ft length is awesome. I have a 10x2x2 and I love it. Good luck with the build and we definitely want to follow along.

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that size you are going to be looking at acrylic. A glass tank that size would probably take machinery to move. Even an acrylic tank that size is going to be in the 500-600 lb range. Are you going to have access on the front and the back of the tank ? With those dimensions maintenance is going to be a pain if you need to reach the back. Granted you are going fowlr so that may not be as big an issue.

The 10ft length is awesome. I have a 10x2x2 and I love it. Good luck with the build and we definitely want to follow along.
Any pics of your tank? I’ve briefly thought of going 12x3x2.5 but I prefer higher heights with longer tanks

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning a plywood build this next year projects willing but I wanna try the 10x3x2

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a 96 length x 48 wide x 30 depth using 1” acrylic and it was over 700 pounds empty. Thickness will depend on depth and probably require 1.25” for either 36” or 40”.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Located in OR:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back