Glass or mesh lid?

DD Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently have a glass lid over my 10-gallon reef tank, and I'm noticing big water droplets on the lid and am wondering if it could be a problem. I currently don't have an ato but plan on getting one in the future.

What are the pros and cons of mesh vs glass lids?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glass hinders the gas exchange, also those drops you see will dry up and leave spots that decreases the effectiveness of the light.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cons of a mesh top is more water will evaporate out of your tank ( you have a smaller tank with no ATO currently), tank water temp may be somewhat affected by room temperature if HVAC vents are blowing onto the tank. Mesh is better for lighting applications most of the time.

Glass can mess with lighting if you don't keep it clean, fish can get hurt by jumping into a hard surface like glass.

I'm sure others will be by shortly to give way more info.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I currently have a glass lid over my 10-gallon reef tank, and I'm noticing big water droplets on the lid and am wondering if it could be a problem. I currently don't have an ato but plan on getting one in the future.

What are the pros and cons of mesh vs glass lids?
Ive only run glass. Its all about containing salt overspray and splashing
Only downfall is the need to clean panels regularly or it will filter your lights.

The one tank I had with screening was the salt buildup, salt creep and faster evaporation. The disadvantage with the evaporation was salinity levels climbing occasionally with loss of water and lights getting salt on them

OP
OP
DD Corals

DD Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where does everyone recommend getting a mess lid? I have a JBJ 10-gallon, so if I were to get a mesh lid which one should I get?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does everyone recommend getting a mess lid? I have a JBJ 10-gallon, so if I were to get a mesh lid which one should I get?

You can make your own using bird netting and aluminum frame (used for window screens)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS sells just the netting or kits... it's a lot cheaper to use the hardware store frames though. It just depends if you want a one stop shop or not since BRS has the correct netting.

OP
OP
DD Corals

DD Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRS sells just the netting or kits... it's a lot cheaper to use the hardware store frames though. It just depends if you want a one stop shop or not since BRS has the correct netting.
Thanks for the info

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
im makes a nice DIY finished look mesh top

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back