Glass surfing green chromis.

Nroddot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've had a school of five blue-green chromis in my 90 gallon tank for about eight months now. Initially there was some in-fighting, but they all get along fine now and are schooled together for the majority of the day.

However, there is one I have problems with. About two months ago, I noticed that one of them would glass surf on and off throughout the day. Since then, it has become worse. The chromis spends virtually the entire day and night glass surfing. The only time it stops is to eat during feeding time.

I know fish glass surf when stressed but I can't figure out what is bothering this chromis. I know the obvious guess would be that it's getting bullied. But that's just not the case. The tank is in my office so I am with it 8-9 hours a day. None of the other fish are bothering this chromis.

I had hope that it would stop the glass surfing eventually but it has been nearly two months now. I feel bad for this fish. Part of me thinks I should trade it in because it's obviously not happy in my aquarium. I just don't understand. The first five months or so I had this chromis, it swam all over the tank and hung around with the other fish.

Don't mind the green algae on the glass, but you can see that the chromis has no damaged flesh/fins and coloration seems normal. As far as I can tell, this fish looks healthy. But it just won't stop the glass surfing. Any ideas? I am completely lost here.

CHROMIS.png

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've had a school of five blue-green chromis in my 90 gallon tank for about eight months now. Initially there was some in-fighting, but they all get along fine now and are schooled together for the majority of the day.

However, there is one I have problems with. About two months ago, I noticed that one of them would glass surf on and off throughout the day. Since then, it has become worse. The chromis spends virtually the entire day and night glass surfing. The only time it stops is to eat during feeding time.

I know fish glass surf when stressed but I can't figure out what is bothering this chromis. I know the obvious guess would be that it's getting bullied. But that's just not the case. The tank is in my office so I am with it 8-9 hours a day. None of the other fish are bothering this chromis.

I had hope that it would stop the glass surfing eventually but it has been nearly two months now. I feel bad for this fish. Part of me thinks I should trade it in because it's obviously not happy in my aquarium. I just don't understand. The first five months or so I had this chromis, it swam all over the tank and hung around with the other fish.

Don't mind the green algae on the glass, but you can see that the chromis has no damaged flesh/fins and coloration seems normal. As far as I can tell, this fish looks healthy. But it just won't stop the glass surfing. Any ideas? I am completely lost here.

CHROMIS.png
I have a betta that does that... completely healthy and the single tank occupant. Honestly, I never knew it was called glass surfing, I just figured that she was depressed.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back