OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Glass is the new thing, especially with low iron glass you just can’t compare in person.

Of course if you go big 300 gallons + then it’s going to take a lot into moving it so acrylic is then favored

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an acrylic sleeve that fits over the inside magnet, that can prevent 99% of sand scratches. I’ve been using them for many years.
at which sleeve are you referring to? do you have a link?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had both and prefer acrylic. Here is a little watch list to explain why.
(Listen closely at 9:50!)

#2, It's not just the seams
(Listen to 14:20 and 19:40)

#3 Buffing while filled with water

#4 And with a little ingenuity, it's easy.

Bottom line, it's still your decision.:D

first video:

'his wife took it well'
AdventurousDefinitiveGreendarnerdragonfly-size_restricted.gif

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people that don’t recommend acrylic, have never had acrylic.
I had glass for many years…but switched to acrylic in 1988…will never go back, don’t want a glass tank for free!
Took the works right out of mouth :)
I agree 100% with you. I've had every style and shape of tank owned in over 25 years of fish keeping any many have scratched to some degree most prominently a Red Sea Reefer. My two tanks now approx 200g and 100 g tanks are acrylic. I have big puffers that have scratched the tank. Difference once a year I get in there with Mighty Magnet scratch kit and buff it out. No seams to worry about and the clarity is better than I've had in low iron glass.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't see any advantage over the tunze magnet with plastic blade
That was the picture that came up first on my web search. I’m really only referring to the sleeve …The sleeve is an acrylic mesh that covers the inside magnet. It does not allow grains of sand to scratch the acrylic tank.

Last edited:

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was that picture that came up first on my web search. I’m really only referring to the sleeve …The sleeve is an acrylic mesh that covers the inside magnet. It does not allow grains of sand to scratch the acrylic tank.
the tunze magnet doesn't touch the acrylic, it's lifted a couple of millimeters, only the blade touch

but the sand could stuck between the sleeve and the acrylic...

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have both, def prefer glass if you have ocd, if your tank gets scratched youll see it vs glass which youll have to look for it. Also my new glass tank doesn’t have a scratch so far, im using aragonite which seems to prevent my tank from scratches or again i just dont see it

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that recommend acrylic tanks what are the benefits:
-- Rimless seems more likely than with glass (which looks nicer).
-- Glass can crack easier than acrylic.
-- Does adhering acrylic make a better bond so less likely for seams to split/leak? (Several had sited glass tank seam splits so I'm assuming this might be true).
-- Lighter but don't think that's a concern for smaller tanks (like 40 gallons or less).
-- What else?

*40 gallon breeder size was perfect fit for my wife-approved nook in the house. (Paid $49 on sale at PetCo as mentioned earlier in this thread).
Quick search for same/similar dimension acrylic tanks are 5+ times that but would've been doable if I thought it was worth it. (Too late now).

Last edited:

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had both and I prefer glass. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Glass Cons: Heavy, Not as clear on very large tanks
Glass Pros: Easy to clean , Hard to scratch, can be cleaned with razor blade

Acrylic Cons: easy to scratch, Some algae very difficult to remove, Coraline difficult to remove
Acrylic Pros: light weight, clearer especially when thicker on large tanks, better insulator, Can be polished if scratched

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have glass in my 300 gallon and I am going to have glass in my new 280.

Acrylic tanks scratch extremely easily and will fog/yellow if it comes in contact with UV (sunlight).

In addition, you have to be limited with what you can use in scrapers, and algae will most certainly deposit in the scratches. Between the fogging and scratches, clarity will not be good.

I’m sure there is a place where acrylic tanks are better (think round aquariums, or very very large tanks) but for the majority of reefer, go glass!

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have glass in my 300 gallon and I am going to have glass in my new 280.

Acrylic tanks scratch extremely easily and will fog/yellow if it comes in contact with UV (sunlight).

In addition, you have to be limited with what you can use in scrapers, and algae will most certainly deposit in the scratches. Between the fogging and scratches, clarity will not be good.

I’m sure there is a place where acrylic tanks are better (think round aquariums, or very very large tanks) but for the majority of reefer, go glass!
Have you owned an acrylic tank?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so Albano is right: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/glass-vs-acrylic.836682/#post-9047173

if you never had an acrylic tank then don't talk about acrylic tanks because you don't know them . and what you wrote is totally wrong on each point
Here’s a friendly tip,

Instead of just saying, “you’re wrong” try to give supporting evidence as to why you believe I’m wrong on “every point”.

I highly considered going acrylic and almost did, but I didn’t because I was capable of researching. :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 114 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back