• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Glasscages just increased prices 20%overnight?!?!

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been following glasscages for about 6 years now, dreaming of getting a custom tank.
I was quoting a tank for the past 3-4 weeks, for less than $1000, with options (LIG) around $1500. I quoted the same tank today, got almost $1200 cost, with a total build of $2000. That's a 20% increase from week to week! I am looking to swap to a larger tank, and was considering glasscages, especially after seeing the latest improvements in their customer experience assessment and attention. Thank you.

Last edited:

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been following glasscages for about 6 years now, dreaming of getting a custom tank.
I was quoting a tank for the past 3-4 weeks, for less than $1000, with options (LIG) around $1500. I quoted the same tank today, got almost $1200 cost, with a total build of $2000. That's a 20% increase from week to week! I am looking to swap to a larger tank, and was considering glasscages, especially after seeing the latest improvements in their customer experience assessment and attention. Thank you.
Hi @Gabe.mihu, thanks for considering Glass Cages.

Raw material prices have really increased so much over the past year. As well as their availability. We have been holding off on increasing our prices for such a long time. The price change was only on the core glass tanks and was implemented last Wednesday. These are some very crazy times for sure. Some of the glass prices have increased well over 100%. I so look forward to things getting back to some normalcy.

Not sure if that helps or not, please let me know if you have any questions.

OP
OP
S

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe, I get it. I just wish I knew about the incoming price increase - would have placed an order last Wednesday. My company communicates price increases usually in advance. Even a communication on the lines "we are holding prices down, even if our raw material cost increased" brings respect from customers.
Anyways, I am looking at more than $400 extra at this point, will take time to get used to.
Thank you for your reply.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe, I get it. I just wish I knew about the incoming price increase - would have placed an order last Wednesday. My company communicates price increases usually in advance. Even a communication on the lines "we are holding prices down, even if our raw material cost increased" brings respect from customers.
Anyways, I am looking at more than $400 extra at this point, will take time to get used to.
Thank you for your reply.
Thanks for your reply @Gabe.mihu.

Totally appreciate your thoughts. This is tough. Very excellent point! Agreed.

We are honoring all quotes generated on the prior prices for the next 45 days. Please give me a call and we will get you taken care of. No stress. There really is enough stress out there and we don't want to contribute to any of that mess.

I am very sorry if you feel disrespected. So not intended. I hope that our how we behave as a company (since 10/2019) is an example of who we are as a company. We do try our best and sometimes we may make a mistake in the spirit of trying to do the right thing. I am very sorry.

On flip side, I wouldn't want any communication to sound gimmicky or salesy to drive a purchase. Thats not who we are. We will not do gimmicky things to drive attention to Glass Cages. We take a different approach to running our organization than what I see other companies doing. Rather than offering discounts or promos to attract attention, we prefer to attract attention by the way we behave, the way we treat customers, the way we treat everyone, the way we innovate and the we treat our Glass Cages team. Culture is very important to us and we don’t believe it can be discounted. With that said, when someone is in need, we will always do the right thing and help. Working with Glass Cages is intended to be an Experience and NOT a transaction. Hope that makes since.

Last edited:

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up......

About a week ago we established a new relationship with Vitro Architectural Glass. Vitro manufactures glass world wide in addition to being the exclusive manufacturer of Starphire glass. This relationship allows Glass Cages to experience supply transit stability with the most common raw glass used by Glass Cages. Glass Cages has not been in a position were glass supply was an issue, rather we have been dealing with all the transit issues head on to continue to be in-front of the challenges.

Due to this relationship, we can now provide a more cost effective solution for our clients. Simply put, we are lowering our prices! I do mean lowering them effective tonight.

Example of Price Adjustment

Old Price
$1,009 for a 72 x 24 x 25 Tall

Price 10/20/2021 increase
$1,312 for a 72 x 24 x 25 Tall

11/14/2021 Price reduction
$1,009 for a 72 x 24 x 25 Tall

On 10/20/2021, Glass Cages raised prices due to these crazy times. Glass Cages will be extending credits for orders placed after that date to honor our price reduction. In addition, all quotes need to be adjusted accordingly. We are excited about our future to serve you and others the best we possibly can.

Passionate Joe

OP
OP
S

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages this is great news!

The way you handled this thread is a lesson of Emotional Intelligence. The way you treated me as a customer, and the build of a new partnership to keep cost down is admirable! Honestly, I did not expect for you to be able to go back to the prices from one month ago, considering the global situation.

Thank you, again, for your dedication and customer support! Can't wait to see my tank, I tore down a wall for it :)

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages this is great news!

The way you handled this thread is a lesson of Emotional Intelligence. The way you treated me as a customer, and the build of a new partnership to keep cost down is admirable! Honestly, I did not expect for you to be able to go back to the prices from one month ago, considering the global situation.

Thank you, again, for your dedication and customer support! Can't wait to see my tank, I tore down a wall for it :)
Truly appreciate your feedback. Thank you very much.

I put myself you your shoes and ask myself, how would I like to be treated by a company? The easy part is, this is who we are. This is our culture. We are here to serve. We humbly listen and strive to improve with constructive feedback.

Thanks again for your support.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back