Goal of higher ph

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since setting up my current tank I've had pH running on the lower side of about 7.95 to 8.1 diurnally.

My skimmer already pulls air from the outside and all of my equipment is in a shed that sits outside of my house. My sump my frag tank everything. The only thing in the main living area of the house is the 320 gallon display. Most of the year the door is left open in the daytime. And I see no difference between when the door is open or closed.

I am running a calcium reactor. but to combat the pH lowering effect, I also run kalkwasser on a dosing pump separate from top off. In addition I have a 2nd chamber on the reactor and finally the effluent trips into yet a third chamber full of media. Which is just in open air PVC pipe. I was told adding a air stone to this third chamber may be helpful as well, which I think I may do this evening as that is free.

I am doing carbon dosing regiment of a homemade NoPOX but it's only 40 ml a day which is a pretty small dose for my total system gallonage of roughly 400g of actual water.

I'm not sure if adding a CO2 scrubber will do much for my system because of the amount of fresh air the equipment gets.

I'd love to hear some thoughts.

OP
OP
cilyjr

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your pH values are fine to have a great reef tank. If you want faster hard coral growth, then higher pH would help with that, but it’s by no means critical.
Yeah I know. My previous tank back in Rhode Island always ran a higher pH value and I feel I was more successful with my Stony coral.I'm aware it's not in apples to apples comparison but I'd like to be a bit higher. 8.2 or so.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back