Goby Reappeared after 6+ MONTHS

SoFlo Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share something I found fascinating. I have a 24g aio reef that at one point had a barber-pole goby (Stonogobiops Nematodes) in it. He was always very reclusive, but I would see him at the entrance to his cave during feeding every day. Well one day about 7 months ago he disappeared. Given the number of inverts and microorganisms in the tank that’s not uncommon for fish when they die, so I assumed he just died and was eaten. A month or so later I added a yasha goby and tiger pistol pair who have been doing well since. During this time I redid the scape, so I caught all fish, removed all rocks from the tank and drained it most of the way. Many of the rocks were out of the tank for an extended period of time.

Fast forward to yesterday, after lights out I was looking in the return chamber of my tank and there is my goby looking back at me. It seems that he may have jumped into the back chamber, and has been living there since. Either that or he was hiding in the tank and just jumped, although I think that is unlikely. The bottom of the return chamber connects to the bottom of my refugium chamber, so he could have been hiding underneath the grate below the chaeto. I have no idea what he has been eating to survive this long, as there is a filter pad at the bottom of the chamber that prevents pieces of chaeto from making their way to the return pump. He is very skinny, but alive and eating well.

I put him back in the main tank, we will see how he gets along with the yasha and his pistol shrimp. I am curious if anyone has experienced anything like this before, or any ideas on what he would’ve eaten to stay alive for such as long time without food.

Screenshot 2024-01-28 at 7.07.40 PM.png

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this happens to me. A while back my Yellow Watchman Goby and my Pistol Shrimp both disappeared over night. The sand was smooth all around the tank with no caves visible so I moved the sand around where they normally took up residence. When I got home from work I took out the rock and really moved the sand and found the pistol shrimp dead but never found the goby. I miss those two as if they were a furry pet. They added so much to my tank and were always fun to watch. I have an Evo 13.5 with my back chambers against a wall. I need to see if I can get a strong flashlight and see if anything is back there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back