Going 100% Reef Nutrition Liquid Food

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I am automating my feeding using a fridge & dosing pumps..... and I'm on the fence of making my own frozen food or going 100% @Reef Nutrition Liquid Foods. I know the Liquid Food method will cost a chunk more, but I like the concept of it being able to go months without me needing to replace the foods, as I'm expecting to be away from the house for month-long chunks next year.

I've never used this stuff before, so I would love to hear insights on:

1) Which 3-4 products would be a good mix for a mixed reef tank? I'm looking to feed fish & corals in a 120g display.

2) How does the volume in these bottles compare to feeding frozen cubes? One of my concerns is that I'm going to be going through $250/month of liquid food lol.... I currently feed 4-5 mysis cubes a day, and a little bit of coral frenzy powder a couple times a week.

3) Do all of these products fit through a standard dosing pump or do I need to make sure the tubing is a specific inside-diameter?

4) Does it make sense to supplement it with pellets as well? I'd prefer to just go 100% Reef Nutrition and call it a day, but if I'm going to be running through a $70 bottle/week, I assume adding some pellets for fish isn't a bad idea.

Thanks!

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I am automating my feeding using a fridge & dosing pumps..... and I'm on the fence of making my own frozen food or going 100% @Reef Nutrition Liquid Foods. I know the Liquid Food method will cost a chunk more, but I like the concept of it being able to go months without me needing to replace the foods, as I'm expecting to be away from the house for month-long chunks next year.

I've never used this stuff before, so I would love to hear insights on:

1) Which 3-4 products would be a good mix for a mixed reef tank? I'm looking to feed fish & corals in a 120g display.

2) How does the volume in these bottles compare to feeding frozen cubes? One of my concerns is that I'm going to be going through $250/month of liquid food lol.... I currently feed 4-5 mysis cubes a day, and a little bit of coral frenzy powder a couple times a week.

3) Do all of these products fit through a standard dosing pump or do I need to make sure the tubing is a specific inside-diameter?

4) Does it make sense to supplement it with pellets as well? I'd prefer to just go 100% Reef Nutrition and call it a day, but if I'm going to be running through a $70 bottle/week, I assume adding some pellets for fish isn't a bad idea.

Thank
Hey there! Some very good questions here.

Our foods sound like they would fit your lifestyle and goals.

1) I would recommend our Oyster-Feast (oyster eggs), R.O.E. (fish eggs), Phyto-Feast (highly concentrated phytoplankton blend) and Arcti-Pods (copepods).

2) How many gallons is your system and what kind of animals are you housing? Is this a mixed reef or dominated by a group of corals; for example, SPS dominant? I can give you some cost estimates based on this information.

3) The copepods in Arcti-Pods would be the largest particle size here, so tubing for that food would need to be a minimum of 3mm (0.11 inches) in diameter. The other food types have very small particle size, so narrow diameter tubing would be fine. It is good to attach flexible, silicon tubing to rigid tubing that goes down into the bottles for food extraction.

4) I would definitely recommend an Eheim auto-feeder. You can fill it with our TDO Small or Medium (depends on the quantity and size of your fish). Please give me a list of your fish and how big they are. If you want to cut some costs and eliminate some of the other liquid suspension foods, TDO would be a great replacement. You could exclude the Arcti-Pods since there is krill in TDO.

I'd be more than happy to continue this conversation over the phone or via my personal email: [email protected]. Feel free to reach out. If you have a local fish store to buy from, that would be ideal, but if not, you can subscribe to our products with reduced shipping costs.

I'm at your service and look forward to hearing from you.

Best,
Chad

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! Some very good questions here.

Our foods sound like they would fit your lifestyle and goals.

1) I would recommend our Oyster-Feast (oyster eggs), R.O.E. (fish eggs), Phyto-Feast (highly concentrated phytoplankton blend) and Arcti-Pods (copepods).

2) How many gallons is your system and what kind of animals are you housing? Is this a mixed reef or dominated by a group of corals; for example, SPS dominant? I can give you some cost estimates based on this information.

3) The copepods in Arcti-Pods would be the largest particle size here, so tubing for that food would need to be a minimum of 3mm (0.11 inches) in diameter. The other food types have very small particle size, so narrow diameter tubing would be fine. It is good to attach flexible, silicon tubing to rigid tubing that goes down into the bottles for food extraction.

4) I would definitely recommend an Eheim auto-feeder. You can fill it with our TDO Small or Medium (depends on the quantity and size of your fish). Please give me a list of your fish and how big they are. If you want to cut some costs and eliminate some of the other liquid suspension foods, TDO would be a great replacement. You could exclude the Arcti-Pods since there is krill in TDO.

I'd be more than happy to continue this conversation over the phone or via my personal email: [email protected]. Feel free to reach out. If you have a local fish store to buy from, that would be ideal, but if not, you can subscribe to our products with reduced shipping costs.

I'm at your service and look forward to hearing from you.

Best,
Chad
Awesome reply - thanks so much, Chad!

I'll give you a call next week to discuss, I'd love to pick your brain for 15 minutes before I start piecing together the auto feeder! Have a great holiday weekend!

Back