Going Big For a First Tank

Graz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the early stages of a custom 235 gallon aquarium. This will be my first aquarium since the (neglected) 10 gallon tank that my parents had when I was growing up.

I intend to do a mixed reef, with an initial focus on some SPS corals. I am drooling over and Ultimate Efflo and a Birds of Paradise. I'm not certain all that I intend to put in the tank, but I probably won't have any zoas.

I am going to place the tank in the entry way to my house. Whenever anyone comes in they will be unable to avoid seeing it. Below are pictures of the location for the tank; my daughter is in the pictures to give some perspective on size.
33712162173_6eb0a22bf0_b.jpg

34392448631_d3f32b1f04_b.jpg

As you can see, the tank will be visible to everyone entering my home.

The tank will be 89"x24"x25.5", which is about a 235 gallon volume. The outermost recess is 89" wide and the tank will be in it. The two further back recesses give a gap of about 3.5" behind the tank, which will be enough for a Reef Savvy Ghost Overflow.

I intend to build a 36" high stand with enough support in the front so that I won't need to have verticals in the front. This will make it easy to move any size of equipment in and out without having to squirm it around.

Unfortunately, the floor in that location isn't strong enough for this size of a tank. I have had a structural engineer review it, and he said that the floor does need to be reinforced. I hope to have a quote on reinforcing the floor in the next week or two. After that, the next big step to prepare for the tank is to run a 20A circuit directly behind where my daughter is.

I have received a quote on a custom tank and am waiting on a second quote.

While all the infrastructure is being put in place I am slowly accumulating equipment. So far I have ordered the protein skimmer and the RO/DI filter. I ordered a Skimz Monzter SM252 skimmer and the BRS 6 stage RO/DI filter. I will keep ordering pieces as I find them on sale.

My plan of attack is to set up a quarantine system as soon as I order a tank. I will quarantine chaeto in it until the tank comes. Then I will move the chaeto to the sump while the tank cycles. Then I will be able to quarantine the initial batch of fish (3-4 clowns) and maybe a few other things while the tank cycles.

I am excited to get moving forward with this. I will update as there are updates to update with.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant wait to see the tank progress!

OP
OP
Graz

Graz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant wait to see the tank progress!
Me neither. I am very excited. This is a very large project that will require a great amount of knowledge to get right. I am fortunate to be able to avail myself of the knowledge of such a large group.

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your home looks pretty new did the engineer give any reason as to why your slab wouldn't be strong enough to support the weight of the tank? With water, rock, and sand I'm assuming it'd be around 2,200-2,400lbs spread out over 8' or so.

OP
OP
Graz

Graz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your home looks pretty new did the engineer give any reason as to why your slab wouldn't be strong enough to support the weight of the tank? With water, rock, and sand I'm assuming it'd be around 2,200-2,400lbs spread out over 8' or so.
The problem is that it isn't a slab. If it were a slab it would have been an easy ok. There is a full basement under that section of the house. There is a large I-beam perpendicular to the tank location, so the reinforcements can sit on that without taking too much space in the basement.

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that it isn't a slab. If it were a slab it would have been an easy ok. There is a full basement under that section of the house. There is a large I-beam perpendicular to the tank location, so the reinforcements can sit on that without taking too much space in the basement.
Ahh didnt think of a basement being involved, hopefully wont be too hard to strengthen up..

OP
OP
Graz

Graz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh didnt think of a basement being involved, hopefully wont be too hard to strengthen up..
Structural engineer's analysis is that I just need to put two 2x10 LVL beams under each side (front and back) of the aquarium. They will run parallel with the joists. It shouldn't be too bad, but I suspect that they will cut into the finished ceiling to slide the beams into place and then patch the ceiling.

Jizu Puentes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you are on to a great start. Although if you want to have multiple clowns you should research harems like the one BRS has because 3-4 won't end well. Do you have the rock you want yet? While you are quarantining fish you could also soak the rock, if using dry rock, to remove possible phosphates.

OP
OP
Graz

Graz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you are on to a great start. Although if you want to have multiple clowns you should research harems like the one BRS has because 3-4 won't end well. Do you have the rock you want yet? While you are quarantining fish you could also soak the rock, if using dry rock, to remove possible phosphates.
I read more on clownfish. Sounds like I want two. Thanks for pointing that out.

I do not have rock yet. That is still a ways out. I'll probably buy that and start curing it when I order the actual tank. Then it should be at least partially cured by the time that I get the tank.

zieg9479

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your over engineering the supports (which is totally fine. You will sleep well). I put in typical stud construction, load-bearing walls under my two tanks.

OP
OP
Graz

Graz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your over engineering the supports (which is totally fine. You will sleep well). I put in typical stud construction, load-bearing walls under my two tanks.
That quite likely would be sufficient, but it is a finished basement which puts some restrictions on what I can do.

OP
OP
Graz

Graz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the first piece of equipment today! Skimz Monzter SM252 External Protein Skimmer.
34452214381_87ac7d8c6a_b.jpg

zieg9479

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That quite likely would be sufficient, but it is a finished basement which puts some restrictions on what I can do.
That makes sense. I have one LVL beam spanning the basement to keep the floor from caving one. just one. You will definitely never have an issue.
Are you doing a fish room or just a sump under the tank?

OP
OP
Graz

Graz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. I have one LVL beam spanning the basement to keep the floor from caving one. just one. You will definitely never have an issue.
Are you doing a fish room or just a sump under the tank?
The storage room where I took the picture of the skimmer will be where I put my quarantine system. Right now the plan for that is two 10 gallon tanks, which may be upgraded to 20 gallon tanks if necessary.

No, I don't get a fish room. The pantry and kitchen are behind the wall where the aquarium will be, and my wife wouldn't look on the aquarium with as much favor if I took over those rooms.

OP
OP
Graz

Graz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got an invoice from Reef Savvy for the tank. Mailed the 50% deposit yesterday. Given that they claim a 6-7 month lead time, I should get the tank mid April to mid May.

OP
OP
Graz

Graz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Specs:
89"x24"x25.5"
1x Ghost Overflow
2x Returns (still determining diameter. Leaning toward 1" or 3/4" pipes.)
Cross braced (1 brace)
3 sides low iron glass
Blacked out back
Armored seams
3/4" thick glass

OP
OP
Graz

Graz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 15 months into my 6-7 month lead time on the tank. He should be finished building in the next week or so. So much crazy.

Also, I ran power for the aquarium. Given the wattage of all of the equipment, I was borderline being able to run on a single 20A breaker. So, I ran TWO 20A breakers.
46164582004_3185fbb31e_k_d.jpg
33014199138_e90706f968_k_d.jpg
33014201808_6aeb7df051_k_d.jpg

Running the cable was annoying since there is not good direct access from below. I used a 48" long, 3/4" diameter cable bit to drill down from the top. Between the cable bit and renting a drywall mud drill to drive it, the hole cost me $59.81. Also, getting the wires up through the hole was annoying, since there was only about a 2" gap to work in from below. Also, I ran cat5e so that at some future point I can put an expansion box down by my quarantine system and monitor my quarantine setup from my Profilux 4.
33014204118_c180690759_k_d.jpg
33014208158_b1864991ca_k_d.jpg

Here is my setup for my quarantine system and a bunch of equipment. Most of this will be cleared up once the tank and stand are in place and I can move equipment to the final locations. Also, 1200 gallons of ESV salt.
31948049077_3c31eb7656_k_d.jpg
31948052097_83e8c601f9_k_d.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back