Going from a 13.5 Gallon Evo to a 25 Gallon Innovative Marine using the "Berlin Method."

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost called it the Belgium method. Tssst. What are we making waffles or somethin? Tssst...

I have had my 13.5 Evo running for 2 years now and have decided I want something a little bigger and something that will give me some better options for returns pumps etc... Things are getting tight and making maintenance more difficult so bigger would help me out. I am trying to wrap my head around transferring everything from the old tank to the new tank and wanted to run it by this forum first. I have watched videos and read about people using live rock to skip the cycle phase of a new tank. It seems logical and technically I have done something like that already when I did a rip clean of my Evo last spring and everything worked out fine. However the volume did not change in the tank where this time I am going up by 12 gallons. Regarding this method I have read something on the lines of "The typical rule of thumb is to use from 1-2 lb (0.45 to 0.9 kg) of live rock per gallon (US) (3.7 liters) of aquarium water depending on the density of the rock"

Wide tank shot:
IMG_20230116_180034015.jpg

Close up:
IMG_20230121_130219399_HDR.jpg

My plan is to move everything in this tank to the new 25 gallon tank. I am not sure about moving the existing sand bed even if I rinse it. Would love feedback on that. I plan on getting new sand to put in. I also want to get a couple more small pieces of live rock to throw in the tank so my acans have something to grow on. I will NOT be adding any new live stock to this new system for a bit and if I do it will be a peppermint shrimp and maybe another Urchin.

So I plan on moving my existing live rock with corals to the new aquarium.

I am not sure if I should rinse my existing sand and put it on top of new sand? Should i just go with new sand and ditch the old sand?

I have a drop in algae scrubber that uses an airline that has growth on it that will be going in the filtration section of the tank. (see image)

IMG_20230121_134046776.jpg

I want to bring over my sponge/mechanical filtration over to the filtration part of the tank cause it should have bacteria on it. (I think?)
(see the green foam stuff under the filter floss)
IMG_20230121_134605367.jpg

I am going to make sure the new water has the same salinity as my existing tank water. I plan on keeping my lights down low and let things acclimate for a couple weeks.

So in theory people can do all of this the day you put water in a new tank and it is supposed to skip the cycle process. But I am a little apprehensive about it cause I am increasing my water volume by about 11-12 gallons and not sure I will have enough bacteria on the rocks I have. I can add some new small live rock from a local fish store to help.

Will I be okay using this method to skip the cycle or should I just wait 2-3 weeks? Again I will NOT be adding new livestock to the tank. Just what I have already.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and don't worry if you think this is dumb or whatever. I won't get offended. I am a rookie and still learning.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move the rocks. Everything else can be replaced with new. The sand and filters aren't going to make enough of a difference to be beneficial. If using established rock, there's no need to worry about a cycle.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what a dang nice system you're upgrading from / total command of it. nice happy corals, happy fish, man that's nice. it looks like pink elk antlers in the back.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back