Going hybrid - What T5 bulbs should I use?

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a Reefer 250 with a G6 XR30 Blue. I am adding a Aquatic Life Dx18 dimmable 4 bulb 36 inch that will be controlled by my apex. I have never used a T5 fixture before and was reading up and leaning towards Blue actinic and a blue plus? But I also see people use a purple. The tank is 100% SPS. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

underwaterjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the color you’re looking for. I am using coral plus with my leds, but I came from the mh days so I like a whiter look. This combo is a very light blue color more to white side. But when t5 go off for the day I get the nice color pop from actinic leds as they wind down. here is a YouTube video showing each color of Ati bulbs

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the color you’re looking for. I am using coral plus with my leds, but I came from the mh days so I like a whiter look. This combo is a very light blue color more to white side. But when t5 go off for the day I get the nice color pop from actinic leds as they wind down. here is a YouTube video showing each color of Ati bulbs

Are there any other controllers besides the Apex that will work with the dimmable T5 Hybrids?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 4 bulb (non dimmable) with a photon 32 v2 pro on a reefer 300 using 2 coral + and two blue +. It is a bit white but my acro frags are really starting to take off so they like it. Nice thing about the combo is you can always crank up the blues on the led if you want things to pop. I just have the t5 turn off in the eve for viewing tho I will say I'm starting to appreciate the look of the t5. It's more natural with enough color that it looks good without looking like a neon sign like many tanks I see. JMO

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI Blue + x 2
To 1 Aquablue Special
To 1 KZ Fiji Purple or ATI actinic

Alternatively-
ATI Blue + x 3
1 Aquablue Special
1 KZ Fiji Purple
1 ATI Acitinic

Stagger the Aquablue between the blue +

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has an opinion. I prefer a bright daylight appearance and as full of spectrum as I can practically and reasonably achieve. Even if it means some drab reflective colored and muted fluorescence during the bulk of the day. I like it to look real. My vote would be for each bank to have

6500k (maybe a giesemann tropic)
Ati true actinic

If you’re into the deep blue thing this will be very displeasing for you, visually. If you like the natural shallow water snorkeling look, this will be terrific.

If you like a fairly blue daylight look I’d do

Ati blue+
Ati coral+

That’ll be pretty white still
But look more modern reef traditional.

If you’re into the heavy blue thing just do all 4 ati blue+

Honestly the difference between the above will be 90% aesthetic. Growth and health will be comparable across the board all other things considered.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bpb I have some Spectralux 65K T5HO bulbs I got at the hort store for a few bucks each. I like the look of them. Do you have any experience with those? I could order some Tropics if these are junk.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6500k and true actinic have spectrum that your LEDs do not. They can render some color that you might not see otherwise. This might be too yellow for heavy-blue folks, but you can make the panel more blue if you need/want to.

Coral+ and Blue+ in pairs is very well liked when viewing alone. Still good color, whiter with not too much windex and with good pop.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 4 blue plus with blue/rb LED diy
If I recall correctly the blue plus have the highest par?

The Mrs loved the blue, corals grew well
Don’t mind the neglected left for dead tank

Everyone has an opinion. I prefer a bright daylight appearance and as full of spectrum as I can practically and reasonably achieve. Even if it means some drab reflective colored and muted fluorescence during the bulk of the day. I like it to look real. My vote would be for each bank to have

6500k (maybe a giesemann tropic)
Ati true actinic

If you’re into the deep blue thing this will be very displeasing for you, visually. If you like the natural shallow water snorkeling look, this will be terrific.

If you like a fairly blue daylight look I’d do

Ati blue+
Ati coral+

That’ll be pretty white still
But look more modern reef traditional.

If you’re into the heavy blue thing just do all 4 ati blue+

Honestly the difference between the above will be 90% aesthetic. Growth and health will be comparable across the board all other things considered.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I followed ATIs recommendation for 16k which is 2 blue plus, 1 coral plus and 1 purple plus. I like it and during peak hours when the T5s are on I have the leds boost the blue.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bpb I have some Spectralux 65K T5HO bulbs I got at the hort store for a few bucks each. I like the look of them. Do you have any experience with those? I could order some Tropics if these are junk.

I haven’t used that particular bulb but I cannot imagine it would be much different from most other 6500k tubes. I’d use them until they need changing

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I followed ATIs recommendation for 16k which is 2 blue plus, 1 coral plus and 1 purple plus. I like it and during peak hours when the T5s are on I have the leds boost the blue.
That is one of the combos I am looking at. I’ll be doing a 4 bulb configuration. From front to back, what order do you have the bulbs in?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody thinks they are high quality.
AFAICT they are just Chinese made t5's. One listed them as "normal CRI" which I found funny.
The tri-phosphor tech has been around for a long time. Would be hard to make a bad bulb..well hopefully.
You want "real" ( ;) )6500k t5's look for any that state "965"
Like these:
Unfortunately min quantity is 5 so it's like $93 plus shipping.
https://www.adlsupply.com/fluorescent-bulbs/fluorescent-t5-bulbs/osram-fq-54w-965-ho/
90CRI..

Any 865 would do also, GE, Osram, Phillips.
80CRI
Again need to buy 5 but thats only $37.85
Looks like they are labelled made in
Hungary..
Ran the shipping and tax thing and 5 bulbs = $50-ish
Actually a fair price.

NOTE: I have no idea of the vendors err "quality"..

Anyways another good bulb.. Actually lists85CRI.
Phillips.

F54T5/865/HO/ALTO​

Can't find singles but some local may have some.

Last edited:

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my non dimmable t5 hybrid i run 2 blue +, 1 actinic, and 1 super purple. the purple balances out the green in the blue plus so things dont look as flat.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back