Going Naked - Bare Bottom Tanks: Interview with World Wide Coral’s Co-Founder, Lou Schiavo

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We went BB with our most recent tank. It is so much easier to siphon out any junk that collects at the bottom compared to a tank with a sand bed. I think I'm hooked to BB tanks now! lol. Our chalices are starting to grow nicely on the bottom.

Thanks WWC for getting and cutting my starboard for me!

sunshinereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been a fan of bare bottom tanks and I did take that route for my 150g mixed reef. I did have a chat with Lou a few months back and he gave excellent ideas and tips to make it a successful experience - so far things have worked out great since the setup is barely an year old.. Thanks again Lou and Mallorie for a good article !!

Trukingny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thread.. i am actually in the process of going BB i have a 57 gal deep blue rinless and also gonna put tan starboard down.. just had one question do you have send any where in the system meaning in the sump? i have a sump and a compartment in the back and i can make up my mind of putting a 6"-7" DSB or just put some extra live rock? what are your thoughts on this my tank will be a SPS dominate tank

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of a bb tank, but I just love the look of a clean white sandy bottom. Plus I love my coris wrasse!

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going Naked - Bare Bottom Tanks: Interview with World Wide Coral’s Co-Founder,

Well this is exactly what I was looking for when it comes to BB tanks. My next tank is now going to be BB. I think to many people are stuck on sand bottoms and dont want to try BB. There is not enough people promoting them yet:) in the ocean I heard sand is there to act like a skimmer.

Sent from inside the shark tank!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It protects your glass from the rock and adds a look a little more aesthetically pleasing then plain glass.

I've never heard of anyone using this stuff ("starboard" or HDPE sheet) before and everyone I know who "does it right" has their rock seated directly on their glass bottom whether they have a sand bed or not - so it's far from necessary. (Yes, if your rocks are up on top of your sand you goofed.. ;))To me it seems like just a different way to catch detritus in a place where it can't be cleaned. To boot: either one is going to look like coraline in a short period of time.

Just a thought.

-Matt

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

NY_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys have the best looking tanks in the biz! The corralline growth and coral colors are out of this world. Please share the lighting setup details that are run on this tank!

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of anyone using this stuff ("starboard" or HDPE sheet) before and everyone I know who "does it right" has their rock seated directly on their glass bottom whether they have a sand bed or not - so it's far from necessary. (Yes, if your rocks are up on top of your sand you goofed.. ;))To me it seems like just a different way to catch detritus in a place where it can't be cleaned. To boot: either one is going to look like coraline in a short period of time.

Just a thought.

-Matt

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Must be an fl thing man. Everyone I've seen with bb in fl has starboard. And as far as doing it right comment, if you've seen it with the starboard or wwc's tank you'd understand why it is so much cleaner. Personally I'm not a fan of bb because I love wrasses but love the look!

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post man loved the read. So glad I went BB in my newest 180.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We need some updates on this tank!

bboyvital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what was used to darken the glass overflow? Barebottoms are awesome by the way. thats the way mine is set up and i dont think i would go back to sand.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what was used to darken the glass overflow? Barebottoms are awesome by the way. thats the way mine is set up and i dont think i would go back to sand.

Hello and welcome to R2R!

We appreciate your membership!

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

ionix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an awesome article.

It is truly efficient. I thought biofiltration and an awesome skimmer was the way to go but this makes a whole lot of sense. Why filter anything when it can simply be completely removed.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.7%
Back