Going Naked - Bare Bottom Tanks: Interview with World Wide Coral’s Co-Founder, Lou Schiavo

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Going Naked - Bare Bottom Tanks
Interview with World Wide Corals Co-Founder, Lou Schiavo
Interview conducted by Mallorie Gaughran of Reef 2 Reef

100208_02.jpg

Mallorie (R2R): When you started your first tank, was it bare bottom or did you have a sand bed?

Lou (WWC): I had a 42 bow front with a shallow sand bed for less than a week when Victor convinced me about the benefits of going bare bottom. That weekend we were cutting the starboard and rid of the sand. My second tank was a 25 gallon Perfecto Marineland Cube. I tried a shallow sand bed again but I took that tank down after 6 months because I had to move. Now that I am settled my current home tank is bare bottom (57 Rimless) and is planned to be predominantly SPS.

Mallorie (R2R): Do you prefer tanks with sand beds or bare bottoms and why?

Lou: I prefer bare bottom tanks. In the long run they are easier to manage plus there is so much more room for live coral on the floor of a bare bottom tank. (Yes I am a coral junkie!)The simple fact that I can feed the tank and its inhabitants more frequently makes it overall more enjoyable for me.

110608_07.jpg

Mallorie (R2R): What advantages do bare bottom reefs have over reef tanks with sand beds?

Lou (WWC): Nutrient control allows for more coral and fish. In the long run managing a bare bottom tank is easier as it becomes more stable. Over time a sand bottom bed can work against you. When the sand bed is disturbed nitrates and phosphates are released back into your system. So with bare bottom tanks you are able to control nutrients by adding nutrients instead of trying to remove nutrients like you would in a sand bottom tank

Mallorie (R2R): At World Wide Corals, why do you predominately run bare bottom tanks?

Lou (WWC): We run low turnover, low nutrient systems at WWC. We rely on delivering the nutrients to the system by feeding the fish and the corals often. Any waste can be captured from our mechanical filtration (filter socks) and we tune our skimmers in to skim wet.

110608_05.jpg

Mallorie (R2R):What equipment should one consider when wanting to go bare bottom?

Lou (WWC):
*Power heads that can be controlled with a controller/wave maker
*Sump style filter with filter socked drains and room for larger skimmer.
*A powerful, efficient protein skimmer
*Auto Top off System Computer and Top Off Box
*Starboard for bottom of tank (if tank is made of glass)
*Media reactor for carbon or other types of media

Mallorie (R2R): Do you suggest different equipment for bare bottom tanks than for reefs with sand beds?

Lou (WWC): A powerful, efficient protein skimmer that never stops working is very important and will help tremendously to keep the tank clean. Along with an Auto Top off System that will keep the water level consistent in the sump. This will allow an internal protein skimmer to work to its full potential. Along with a good set of power heads that can be controlled. This will give the tank random flow patterns that mimic the ocean’s flow.

LIV_8659.jpg

Mallorie (R2R): What reef inhabitants shouldn’t be kept in a bare bottom tank?

Lou (WWC): Nassarius Snails, Sand Sifting Starfish, Conchs, Sea Cucumbers, Certain Sand Sifting Gobies and Wrasses that like to hide & sleep in the sand like the Yellow Coris Wrasses. However if you want to keep one of these Wrasses we have had success keeping a small sand box in a corner of one of our bare bottom tank for our Yellow Coris Wrasse to hide and sleep in.

Mallorie (R2R): Do water parameters differ in a bare bottom tank compared to a tank with a sand bed?

Lou (WWC): No matter what method (sand or bare bottom) stable water parameters in the tank relies mainly on your reef keeping practices and being consistent with those practices.

110609_09.jpg

Mallorie (R2R): Are there any tips for success you would like share to keeping great bare bottom reefs?

Lou (WWC): When you find recipe or method that works well for you stick to it. Consistency is one of the main keys to success when it comes to keeping a successful reef tank. Also, always be careful on the advice you take and who is giving the advice.

100703_05.jpg

100429_04.jpg

100427_03.jpg

Thank you to Lou and World Wide Corals for kindly obliging us with this interview!

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks Lou and great job Mal!

Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up! I have been considering making my next reef tank bare bottom. Quick question. Is there a benefit to using the starboard material or is it just to get the white look of sand? Thanks.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went BB in my 75. After getting rid of that 3 year old sandbed my tank looks much better and sps growth has improved. I'm not running GFO anymore and my phosphates are staying as low as they were with GFO. I'm hooked on BB!

Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went BB in my 75. After getting rid of that 3 year old sandbed my tank looks much better and sps growth has improved. I'm not running GFO anymore and my phosphates are staying as low as they were with GFO. I'm hooked on BB!

Cool. Did you do the starboard thing?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Did you do the starboard thing?

No. I have insane coraline growth so I figured it would all turn purple anyway. I already have purple splotches heavily covering the bottom glass. I'm going to glue some encrusting montis to the bottom and see if it will cover the bare spots.

blackx-runner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to go BB, but I like my sand dwelling creatures too much.
Maybe I just need another smaller tank for those little guys, and go BB in the main tank.

Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I have insane coraline growth so I figured it would all turn purple anyway. I already have purple splotches heavily covering the bottom glass. I'm going to glue some encrusting montis to the bottom and see if it will cover the bare spots.

Sounds like its working out well. Encrusting montis sound perfect. Post a pic when you get a chance.

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great interview. Makes me think I should have went BB with the new tank I just set up a few months ago. I have been considering removing the sand from the display and fuge and running completely sandless......just have yet to get enough time to do it.

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of having encrusting coral as a bottom. That would look awesome. But where would my pistol live?

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Glad you like it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job!!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back