Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 16.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 108 47.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 71 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! Super cool! I answered other because I didint know what drop off meant lol. Not quite sure if I have seen one before. Kind of cool looking but I am sure it wont fit my budget! lol

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooooooooh that is cool. I would have so much fun doing the aquascape for this tank. I think it would be great to have a dropoff where 1/3 of the tank was much lower and so you can almost look down at it ... just a foot above floor level would be amazing. Found these pics from google but could imagine this ... around 6' long :star-struck: .

1715223284177.png
1715223367446.png

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i think they’re cool. what would be nice is to have an area for a very small “sump” in the event you don’t want to make it an AIO. like the one below! although not for storage
My drop off was an enjoyable tank, just not big enough and do agree, it offered a few dead spots with detritus buildup and dead spots for flow

drop6.jpg
drop 10.10c.jpg
dropoff14.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i think they’re cool. what would be nice is to have an area for a very small “sump” in the event you don’t want to make it an AIO. like the one below! although not for storage
Agree.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the Tenecor Grand Cayman.

72x36x30 Drop Off AIO. We hear one of the big negatives are the dead zones in the drop area. So we combined the "cavity" with the AIO and came up with this design. Two circulation pumps. One for the two loc lines coming off the step and the other for the return from the AIO. The AIO is a good 10 inches wide so that the step cavity sump can be easily accessed from the AIO pump chamber. The step's wall can be variable up to 20 Inches high and the drop off zone will be 18 inches wide all around. The first chamber is the dedicated skimmer chamber. then the media caddy where you see the inlet slots, finally the return pump chamber which connects to the cavity sump. On the step ledge, you will see a one inch perimeter to keep substrate in place and more importantly, two removable black polycarbonate access hatches for emergency access to the cavity sump. To keep the sump cavity clean, you can off pressure some flow to keep all the suspended particles circulating.

I will post images later with our Magnum stands and new canopies. Comments and FB requested.
72x36x30 AIO Drop Off Tank - 1.jpg
72x36x30 AIO Drop Off Tank - 2.jpg
72x36x30 AIO Drop Off Tank - 3.jpg
72x36x30 AIO Drop Off Tank - 4.jpg
72x36x30 AIO Drop Off Tank - 5.jpg
72x36x30 AIO Drop Off Tank - 6.jpg
72x36x30 AIO Drop Off Tank - 7 2.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back