Gold Dot Maroon, Finally Changing Colour, Time to Pair?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hugh Mann
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2020
Messages
1,997
Reaction score
1,862
Location
Merritt, BC
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lil' guy is getting all grown up. Doubled in size in the last year, and his stripes are changing colour! Part of the maturation process I know, but does this mean he has, or will soon be transitioning to female?

Fish shipments are really picking up, and I've been seeing tonnes of gorgeous maroons of the right size, so I am thinking it's the right time to try and pair. However, I am in the midst of upgrading to a new tank, and am wonder if I should try and pair before, during or after the move?
 
That's kind of what I was thinking. Though if there is aggression in the new tank, it will be somewhat difficult to come to the rescue, depending on where they are in the tank. 230 gallon.

I wonder, I'll be quarantining my current livestock between tanks in an attempt to eradicate my managed ich. Would that be a good time to try for a pair, since it would be easy to isolate the aggressor?
 
That sounds like a good Idea but that will also put them in fairly close quarters. Kind of forcing them to be close instead of giving them time to get acquainted.
 
That is true, yeah. My QT is 40 gallons, but there'd be the other couple fish too. Probably best to run their QTs separately and introduce at the same time. Since the new clown will have to be treated for other potential problems that I know mine don't have.

Yeah, that's probably the better way to do it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new