Golden basslet assessor aggressive ?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno, I have found the wild ones are hardier than the captive bred ones.
I have wild caught one(didn't know ORA had them at the time) that is super hardy, I have not heard about the ORA ones being less so, but I have no personal experience with them.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nature is always going to more severely cull, than a company selling a product.

At wholesalers there will always be some deformed ones mixed in the batches of captive raised fish.

Having had both come in to stores where I have worked captive bred ones always had a higher mortality than wild, losing 10-20% of captive ones and rarely if ever losing wild caught ones.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nature is always going to more severely cull, than a company selling a product.

At wholesalers there will always be some deformed ones mixed in the batches of captive raised fish.

Having had both come in to stores where I have worked captive bred ones always had a higher mortality than wild, losing 10-20% of captive ones and rarely if ever losing wild caught ones.
I would agree that wild ones will have been exposed to much harsher selections conditions than captive bred ones bu I always try to encourage captive bred when possible, were yours ORA?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree that wild ones will have been exposed to much harsher selections conditions than captive bred ones bu I always try to encourage captive bred when possible, were yours ORA?
Yup ora, I just don't like to single out a brand when saying something negative, as I am certain the issues are not brand associated, but just a function of Mother Nature being harsher than captive conditions.

If they still offered their mandarins I would be a huge proponant of that, and the variety of designer clowns available is amazing,but overall my impressions of captive bred fish have left much to be desired.

1.0reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred is better, some say they're less vibrant, but I can't see the difference. ORA also breeds the incredibly rare Randalls Assessor!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred is better, some say they're less vibrant, but I can't see the difference. ORA also breeds the incredibly rare Randalls Assessor!
For argument's sake what's your basis for stating that captive bred is better?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For argument's sake what's your basis for stating that captive bred is better?
Everyone always says that captive bred fish and corals are better because they were born and raised in tanks, making them better conditioned to tank life.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone always says that captive bred fish and corals are better because they were born and raised in tanks, making them better conditioned to tank life.
For fish that present difficult or specialized husbandry skills, such as mandarins or jackknife fish, yes, but in the case of assessors wild caught individuals readily adapt to captive conditions, and IME prove to be hardier than their captive bred counterparts. They also are plentiful in the wild and comw from Australia, which has some of the best managed fisheries on the planet.
Anyone have picture of a Randall's assesor
http://reefbuilders.com/files/2013/10/ora-randall-assessor.jpg
Randall's assessor.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought a ora yellow/golden assessor by the way they come in almost brown. But I put him in the tank and he disappeared for almost a month, I figured he was dead. I was feeding and my girlfriend saw him dart out for some food and a few days latter he came out and has been out ever sense. He was beat up pretty bad though so he might have just been healing. He is very peaceful.. I have never had a mean basslet but dottyback/pseudochromis never again... You can not mix basslet's though, they are mean too their won kind.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can mix assessors. I believe mike and terry had 9+ together if memory serves me right.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can mix assessors. I believe mike and terry had 9+ together if memory serves me right.
Has to be a pretty big tank and they need to be introduced at the same time I believe.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has to be a pretty big tank and they need to be introduced at the same time I believe.
It was actually mikeand nichole on another forum.

The randall's are a little more aggressive with each other, so a few males won't work, but a group of female randall's will work.

Yellows are more peaceful and new members can be added to the group at later times, even in tanks as small as 40g.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back