Golden dwarf morays eel injury

alashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all:
I recently added 2 golden DWARF morays to my 75 gallon tank. The tank has several caves and hiding places in my rock. However, it looks like my eels were fighting recently and the one has a nasty bite/tear on his throat. He is breathing fine and does not appear to be stressed. I cannot confirm if he has eaten since it occurred as it hasn't been a feeding day yet. I will try feeding him tonight. I am worried and wondering if he will recover and if anyone has any advice.
398023efb808745b017f751f08b961a7.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen fish recover on their own from worse injuries, but be watchful for the possibility of a bacterial infection. You might want to set up a quarantine tank just in case, as an infection like that would need to be treated in QT.

I know that eels can be very sensitive to some medications, such as copper, but I'm not sure how well they tolerate antibiotics. For most fish, Kanaplex, Metroplex and Furan-2 can be used together to provide a very broad spectrum that'll take on most infections - but I simply don't know whether an eel will tolerate those meds.

Going to have to research eel meds, I think . . .

~Bruce

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen fish recover on their own from worse injuries, but be watchful for the possibility of a bacterial infection. You might want to set up a quarantine tank just in case, as an infection like that would need to be treated in QT.

I know that eels can be very sensitive to some medications, such as copper, but I'm not sure how well they tolerate antibiotics. For most fish, Kanaplex, Metroplex and Furan-2 can be used together to provide a very broad spectrum that'll take on most infections - but I simply don't know whether an eel will tolerate those meds.

Going to have to research eel meds, I think . . .

~Bruce
X2 and I believe eels do fine in antibiotics, and those are the three I'd have on hand and treat with concurrently.

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope your eel heals quickly with no issues. May I ask where you got them from? I'm looking for one currently; but I'm exploring prices. Not going to spend $300 on one.

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny because I found this website shortly after sending my response to you. May I ask how long you've had your eels from this distributor? Have you had success in treating it thus far? I'm weary since you're experiencing issues with your eel. I'm trying to be cautious. Don't want to introduce a sick eel to my tank right on arrival. Especially since you shouldn't treat with copper. I suppose Prazi Pro is acceptable from what I hear.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny because I found this website shortly after sending my response to you. May I ask how long you've had your eels from this distributor? Have you had success in treating it thus far? I'm weary since you're experiencing issues with your eel. I'm trying to be cautious. Don't want to introduce a sick eel to my tank right on arrival. Especially since you shouldn't treat with copper. I suppose Prazi Pro is acceptable from what I hear.

I don't currently have one but Pacific Island aquatics is a reputable source

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back