Goni help

nick654377

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of a sudden as of yesterday our goni has been closed up. It always for the past 3 weeks been open and happy. Parameter swings have not been much of anything other than dkh dropping .5. Our bta is also closed up under a rock. Lighting has not changed and I do not know where to start.

9443906C-0EAA-41BE-B58B-A5D823F0167B.png 59789957-BE42-48FA-88FA-1BA672693814.jpeg

OP
OP
N

nick654377

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything different from the last time you did a water change? The goni we are speaking of is the flower pot variety correct?
The Goni is the pink on in the front in the sand bed. Nothing different than last time. Grabbed water from our RO/DI mixing station and put it in just like every last time I have. only thing I can think of is the dkh dropped .5 and calcium is always 430-460. For some reason today it tested at 518.

Not an IT guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Goni is the pink on in the front in the sand bed. Nothing different than last time. Grabbed water from our RO/DI mixing station and put it in just like every last time I have. only thing I can think of is the dkh dropped .5 and calcium is always 430-460. For some reason today it tested at 518.
.5 would not cause an issue. Now if it was 5.0 then yes. Hmm. I know gonis can be like this, one day they are fine, the next having issues. Cal is fine. Hard to say to be honest.

OP
OP
N

nick654377

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.5 would not cause an issue. Now if it was 5.0 then yes. Hmm. I know gonis can be like this, one day they are fine, the next having issues. Cal is fine. Hard to say to be honest.
I have never dosed the tank. I think its time to start. I am going to look into grabbing the Redsea trace elements as well as others today and start dosing asap. I test everything manually that is just an app I use to track numbers. I am a chemist and everything I do is done the same each time.

OP
OP
N

nick654377

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update for everyone. The goni opened more today. I was honestly trying something new and he was not happy. I cannot get nitrates down around 10ppm and saw a sheet where it tells you where to shoot for phosphates with nitrates to control algae. Well I tried that and let my phosphates raise to around .2 and he was not happy. Dosed last night with phosphate E and brought them back down and it is open.

so moral of the story. Goni do not like phosphates. My redsea dosing kit comes tomorrow with trace elements, Alk, Cal, and Mg. I dont think I am going to need cal and mag but it will be good to have them on hand. I am going to try to run their no3 and phosphate stuff and see how that works.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back