Goni is auddenly looking really bad, what should i do?

Ennvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aah please help me! I have a goniopora minor and it's done well for a while but suddenly it's looking bad. Any idea why or what i should do? I know gonis are brats, but mine was doing well up until now :(

parameters are good from what i can tell- salinity 1.026, ph is a bit low at 8.0 but has been stable there, just doesnt seem to want to get any higher. Nitrate 20, nitrite is <0.05, ammonia 0. The only change is that i recently added a new live rock to the tank that possibly altered the water flow? Any advice is greatly appreciated :')

20210129_145225.jpg

rudysmallfry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing it's 6 months old? Have you been spot feeding it? I've been finding a lot of info on youtube lately regarding the special needs of goni's. Apparently if you don't spot feed them, they slowly starve and suddenly die off around the 6 month mark. Some people do feed only to do it wrong. Goni's shy away from direct spray, so you need to let the food drop onto the goni gently with the pumps off. Sorry but this one appears to be past that point regardless.

OP
OP
Ennvi

Ennvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing it's 6 months old? Have you been spot feeding it? I've been finding a lot of info on youtube lately regarding the special needs of goni's. Apparently if you don't spot feed them, they slowly starve and suddenly die off around the 6 month mark. Some people do feed only to do it wrong. Goni's shy away from direct spray, so you need to let the food drop onto the goni gently with the pumps off. Sorry but this one appears to be past that point regardless.
I have been spot feeding it with the pumps off, but maybe too close because it does retract when i feed it, i always thought it was just a bit touchy lol. It does look in pretty bad shape, it only started looking like this in the last 2 days

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Reduce white light intensity for starters as they do best under moderate light and water flow as weaker flow in general is a no no for LPS as detritus can build up and drown them. They do best at lower part of tank where there is minimal bright light. Frequent feedings are important for this species making regular additions of trace element supplements such as Seachem Reef Plus, EcoSystem's Reef Solution, and Kent Coral-Vite as per the directions on the bottle.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back