Goniopora infection after fraging

Sagerrak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear community,

Not the first time it happend to me, yet one that i couldnt handle somehow with sucess:

After fraging goniopora it starts "melting" with a brown gunk over consumed tissue. Heppend before, but succeded to stop after cipro dip. First tough then that was a brown jelly of some kind, thus reacted positively with cipro. I fragged next one, using dremel saw (handheld stone cuting discs). Out of 9 frags and one mother colony 2 started melting within 24h. Cipro not helped. Another commonly used idodine also. Over more than week i've tried antibiotics, iodine, peroxide etc. None of those helped to eradicate problem completely. 7 frags seems to be fine now after few different treatments, half of the mother colony is lost already, i've cut it 0,5cm away from infection point ( cut smoothly with a clean sharp blade hit), second half is on the picture and it started to melt within 36h from cuting.

I do not have microscope to see if the gunk is bacteria , dinos or diatoms. It differs from BJD cause bjd tends to melt euphyllia faster, but euphyllia shows symptoms immadiately. Euphyllia under bjd reacts with deflating completely and dissolves head within 24h completely. This one seems to "consumme" tissue like 5mm per 24h, and has none or a very little immunological response - goniopora is not deflating , deflates only few mm from the brown stuff. In this picture its deflated but it will pump back until its eaten.
I've seen simmilar infection in oceans under "BBD" - black band disease , but not sure and not equipped to confirm simmilarity. I do not find info on bbd over the hobby.

Summarizing: antibiotic dips (amoxycilin, ciproflaxacin) , iodine dips, h2o2 dips, trade dips - seems not eradicate a problem completely.

Any ideas on what it might be or how to solve it ?

Greetings from Poland BTW !

20231023_181408.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sagerrak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noone ? Nothing ?
Update: another alveopora that was in a 10cm distance , and was never fragmented: starter the same type of infection

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back