Goniopora not doing good

  • Thread starter Thread starter bensoo00
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bensoo00

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 26, 2023
Messages
236
Reaction score
53
Location
Blue Bell
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it from the store like this, where only a bit of the middle was gone. Now it is slowly losing some polyps and not really extending too far, anything I can do besides let it try and survive? There is a Goniopora about 5 inches from it that is constantly extending and has been for a year, so unsure what the issue is.
IMG_1489.jpeg
IMG_1476.jpeg
 
Personally, I would just leave it beside your thriving one. I've had one stay closed for about 3 months once, so they can stay closed for a long while. I would just give it time. Hopefully it gets healthy for you, good luck.
 
While feeding and specific minerals in the water seem to be linked to goni health, I've seen this kind of slow dieoff due to light intensity being too high. Just because it's good for one goni doesn't mean it's good for all of them, and moving it down or off axis of the light fixture by a few inches may be enough to help.
 
Is your other goni being aggressive? Normally you can keep them within reach of each other, but I have one very aggressive goni that needs to be kept by itself.
 
I ended up leaving it next to the ok gonio and since then it has lost a couple more polpyps. They aren’t touching but just to be safe I’m going to leave it close to the sand bed for a while under lower flow so maybe it can catch a break? Unsure why this is happening, also something to note is that there are little dark thingys that are between some of the polpys in the healthy section. I can’t really get a good picture though I’ll try later.
 
Gonis can handle a lot of flow, but seriously, try giving it like 10% less light.
Yeah I moved it down to a lower light area so I hope it gets better over time, should I try target feeding it as well?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new