Goniopora not doing good

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it from the store like this, where only a bit of the middle was gone. Now it is slowly losing some polyps and not really extending too far, anything I can do besides let it try and survive? There is a Goniopora about 5 inches from it that is constantly extending and has been for a year, so unsure what the issue is.
IMG_1489.jpeg
IMG_1476.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would just leave it beside your thriving one. I've had one stay closed for about 3 months once, so they can stay closed for a long while. I would just give it time. Hopefully it gets healthy for you, good luck.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While feeding and specific minerals in the water seem to be linked to goni health, I've seen this kind of slow dieoff due to light intensity being too high. Just because it's good for one goni doesn't mean it's good for all of them, and moving it down or off axis of the light fixture by a few inches may be enough to help.

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your other goni being aggressive? Normally you can keep them within reach of each other, but I have one very aggressive goni that needs to be kept by itself.

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up leaving it next to the ok gonio and since then it has lost a couple more polpyps. They aren’t touching but just to be safe I’m going to leave it close to the sand bed for a while under lower flow so maybe it can catch a break? Unsure why this is happening, also something to note is that there are little dark thingys that are between some of the polpys in the healthy section. I can’t really get a good picture though I’ll try later.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back