Goniopora placement Help please

Leggmantn2015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a goniopora frag because i miss identifed it as an "easy to keep" soft coral.
Now I'm reading they are really hard to keep alive. Any tips and advice would be helpful!!!
20161120_123644.jpg

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At night, with the flow off, I feed my goni - CALA-fin I think it's called. I re-hydrate it in RO, then use a turkey baster to let it fall upon the open polyps. They reacted and withdrew when I first started, but then started to noticeably feed after the first couple times.

I have not read the articles, but think that direct feeding may be key, along with clean stable water params.

Than always has good stuff btw.

Last edited:

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my favorites, I've owned several throughout the years and generally have had good success with them. There are currently 7 in my tank and all are over 1 year old. Here are some general comments:

The aussie ones seem to fare much better based on my experience.
The longer the polyps, the more difficult they seem to be to keep alive long-term.
They seem to be very sensitive to water chemistry, even more so than acropora.
The really short polyped ones, almost encrusting, seem to be quite hardy.

Yours looks a bit bleached and the presence of green algae around the edges of the frag is concerning. I'd give it lower light and some flow but not strong flow. I've personally never seen them eat but it wouldn't hurt to try. Good luck!

Dave

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Xenia is doing AMAZING! Put it on the side of the tank with a rock hovering over it. They don't need too much light, but they like some. Don't forget to show your corals love; that goes the farthest ;)

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Xenia is doing AMAZING! Put it on the side of the tank with a rock hovering over it. They don't need too much light, but they like some. Don't forget to show your corals love; that goes the farthest ;)

Xenia is a different coral from a goniopora.

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my favorites, I've owned several throughout the years and generally have had good success with them. There are currently 7 in my tank and all are over 1 year old. Here are some general comments:

The aussie ones seem to fare much better based on my experience.
The longer the polyps, the more difficult they seem to be to keep alive long-term.
They seem to be very sensitive to water chemistry, even more so than acropora.
The really short polyped ones, almost encrusting, seem to be quite hardy.

Yours looks a bit bleached and the presence of green algae around the edges of the frag is concerning. I'd give it lower light and some flow but not strong flow. I've personally never seen them eat but it wouldn't hurt to try. Good luck!

Dave
I have fed mine a few times1_
Xenia is a different coral from a goniopora.
I feel dumb :/

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are quite hard to keep. I need to add about your specific piece, that it looks to have expelled just about all of its zooxanthellae, or "bleached" so it's going to be much harder to keep that one healthy. It will rely solely on organic foods until it recovers.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two and i have found the they like it under my gyres as the gyres pull the flow upwards. Check my last post in my thread

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey if anyone has a frag of this for cheapish id love to know if I could keep it alive! I loves a nice coral challenge

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey if anyone has a frag of this for cheapish id love to know if I could keep it alive! I loves a nice coral challenge
I have a nice lavender one with blue mouths that seems to prefer lower flow than I can give it. It is about tennis ball size and polyp extension isn't great at the moment but I'd let it go for $30 if you wanted to try it.

Dave

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back