40 breeder build

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many of you know, I've been looking for a go-between tank for a while now. There's a few reasons why I'm switching to this new tank. My current 36 bow is running on 11 years now and it starting to show its age. There's several scratches, silicone is breaking off on some of the seams, and most importantly, I'm quite tired of the shape (dimensions of the tank). It is too tall and not wide enough which has left my aquarium filled with a wall/tower of rock with not much empty space for flow.

I finally decided on a 40 breeder. Since this tank is upstairs, I couldn't go too big on volume. The 40 gives me the extra tank space I need while still remaining manageable. This will be the perfect bridge between my current tank and my planned larger setup which will go downstairs once the in-laws move.

As far as setup/equipment goes, here's what I'm planning:

Tank: 40 breeder
Stand - custom built by a friend
Sump: DIY using a 20 high aquarium
Lights: 2 x Ocean Revive LED
Skimmer - will move my current skimmer over (it was one of those Aquarium's in-house units) but will probably upgrade it if I find the right one
Controller: Apex
Dosers: 2 BRS dosers for two part
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155
Powerheads: 2 x Jebao RW4
Return pump: Sicce Syncra - can't remember exactly which one I have but it will move over from my existing tank (fairly new pump and I know it has plenty of head pressure as it is currently dialed down all the way)
Rock: 50 lbs BRS Reef Saver

I realize that this is not going to be the fanciest of build but I figured I'd log my progress for my to keep track of things and keep any questions I might have during the process in one thread.

Will post updates as and when I have em!

Cheers!
Yash

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completed the muriatic acid bath on the rock today. Fizzed up quite well, but very little gunk or odor (besides the gasses) though that is to be expected since this was dry rock. I hosed the rock down and they are now sitting in the Brute going through a Lanthanum Chloride treatment.

IMG_7157_zpskmjcmt1h.jpg

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. Can't wait to see the progress dude!

Did you get the muriatic acid at Home Depot too? Think I'll be doing my rock next weekend.

Yeah. I got it at HD. Do you know how much you need? They only sell them in two packs, 1 gallon each. I only needed one so if you don't need both I can hook you up. Don't know anything else I will use this other gallon for in the very near future.

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I got it at HD. Do you know how much you need? They only sell them in two packs, 1 gallon each. I only needed one so if you don't need both I can hook you up. Don't know anything else I will use this other gallon for in the very near future.

Oh sweet. I think 1 is plenty. Let me know how much you want for it sir.

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sweet. I think 1 is plenty. Let me know how much you want for it sir.

It was $10 for the 2-pack. So $5 and its yours! Also, if you have an empty bottle I can give you some Lanthanum Chloride too. I certainly won't need anywhere near the 32 fl oz. the bottle has and it will save you from having to buy some yourself. That is if you are going to do an LC bath as well.

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was $10 for the 2-pack. So $5 and its yours! Also, if you have an empty bottle I can give you some Lanthanum Chloride too. I certainly won't need anywhere near the 32 fl oz. the bottle has and it will save you from having to buy some yourself. That is if you are going to do an LC bath as well.

Awesome dude. Thanks.

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Yash, where did you end up getting the LC?

EDIT: Sorry Yash, just read your rock bath post lol. Glad you were able to find it!!

Last edited:

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many of you know, I've been looking for a go-between tank for a while now. There's a few reasons why I'm switching to this new tank. My current 36 bow is running on 11 years now and it starting to show its age. There's several scratches, silicone is breaking off on some of the seams, and most importantly, I'm quite tired of the shape (dimensions of the tank). It is too tall and not wide enough which has left my aquarium filled with a wall/tower of rock with not much empty space for flow.

I finally decided on a 40 breeder. Since this tank is upstairs, I couldn't go too big on volume. The 40 gives me the extra tank space I need while still remaining manageable. This will be the perfect bridge between my current tank and my planned larger setup which will go downstairs once the in-laws move.

As far as setup/equipment goes, here's what I'm planning:

Tank: 40 breeder
Stand - custom built by a friend
Sump: DIY using a 20 high aquarium
Lights: 2 x Ocean Revive LED
Skimmer - will move my current skimmer over (it was one of those Aquarium's in-house units) but will probably upgrade it if I find the right one
Controller: Apex
Dosers: 2 BRS dosers for two part
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155
Powerheads: 2 x Jebao RW4
Return pump: Sicce Syncra - can't remember exactly which one I have but it will move over from my existing tank (fairly new pump and I know it has plenty of head pressure as it is currently dialed down all the way)
Rock: 50 lbs BRS Reef Saver

I realize that this is not going to be the fanciest of build but I figured I'd log my progress for my to keep track of things and keep any questions I might have during the process in one thread.

Will post updates as and when I have em!

Cheers!
Yash

Are you going to drill the 40? If so what overflow you going with?

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to drill the 40? If so what overflow you going with?

Yes, I am going to drill and go with a Bean Animal overflow. I was going to get the Reef Savvy overflow but they have a 6-week lead time for production. So I went with the Synergy ghost overflow which is just like the RS, only a hair larger. However, it was $50 cheaper and BRS had it in stock! Win-win!

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am going to drill and go with a Bean Animal overflow. I was going to get the Reef Savvy overflow but they have a 6-week lead time for production. So I went with the Synergy ghost overflow which is just like the RS, only a hair larger. However, it was $50 cheaper and BRS had it in stock! Win-win!
That's awesome!

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First day of LC bath complete. There wasn't much sediment at all. Just some fine rock powder from moving them into the bin I imagine. That's encouraging [emoji4]

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why did you give your rock a muriatic acid bath? I bought 30 pounds of that rock and just put it in my new tank no fish or coral should i remove it and give it a bath now?

Reeflogic