40 breeder build

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my other problem is when it comes time to hose off the muriatic acid from the rock my house water is high in phosphate what else could i do.

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thread I shared earlier discusses this a little, @cee mentioned that the amount of phosphates present in tap water should be minimal, but if you feel they are extremely high, you could use RODI water.

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@enzo - I think Doug answered most of your questions, but basically the acid bath is to take off the very outer layer of the rock which might phosphate producing dead material in it. Then the LC bath will bind the phosphate that the rock might leach into the water column. The idea is to remove as much as possible out of the rock before it is set up in the display tank. Will either/both of these remove all traces of phosphates? Probably not, but will certainly remove the bulk of it. Do read that other thread that Doug linked - it goes into the rock curing process in detail. If you have further question on the curing process, posting them there might get more attention.

BTW - LOVE your shepherd! :)

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I did read that thread. Where do you buy LC. Hunter was his name and unbelievably smart dog.

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that just because my ph is 0 now that it climb later if I don't do the bath ?

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that just because my ph is 0 now that it climb later if I don't do the bath ?

0 phosphates you mean? The bath and LC treatment has nothing to do with pH. Even if your phosphates read 0 now, it is possible that they could start leaching a few weeks or even months down the road.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a 40g setup right now similar to yours, including the sump tank size. I bought an sca-300 skimmer, which has gotten great reviews and has a small footprint. For the overflow, I bought the glass-holes 700 overflow kit and return kit. I haven't drilled the tank yet. Best of luck and hopefully we can exchange advice.

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a 40g setup right now similar to yours, including the sump tank size. I bought an sca-300 skimmer, which has gotten great reviews and has a small footprint. For the overflow, I bought the glass-holes 700 overflow kit and return kit. I haven't drilled the tank yet. Best of luck and hopefully we can exchange advice.

Awesome! I'd love to compare notes. You'll have to keep me posted on the skimmer. That is one thing I could use an upgrade on since in severely antiquated. Best of luck to you too!

Btw - do you have a build thread?

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I'd love to compare notes. You'll have to keep me posted on the skimmer. That is one thing I could use an upgrade on since in severely antiquated. Best of luck to you too!

Btw - do you have a build thread?

I use a sca 302 skimmer and I love it!

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the SCA 301 for almost 2 years now and I love it. Never used any other skimmer so can't compare.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1459273129.113498.jpg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jonneyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also working on putting together a 40g breeder with 20g sump, I went with an Exotic Marine Systems (@TaylorPilot) Overflow and sump kit. I've got the tank drilled, overflow installed, beautiful looking overflow and sump kit by the way, I'd recommend it to anyone, I went with a reef Octopus skimmer, classic 110 I think.

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back