40 breeder build

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was fun, Yash!! Thanks for the cold ones! Tank is going to be awesome. Those small leaks shouldn't cause any problems, were you able to do that test run with the return pump?

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was fun, Yash!! Thanks for the cold ones! Tank is going to be awesome. Those small leaks shouldn't cause any problems, were you able to do that test run with the return pump?

Nah I just didn't have the inclination to do the test run with the pump after having worked on tank stuff all weekend. I might try it out this evening when I get home.

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the sump with all the baffles in place. I'll probably do a water test on it tomorrow with a spare pump that will create a looped cycle between chambers.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1459901527.514418.jpg

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fuge section?

I thought about adding a fuge initially but decided against it partly because of the lack of space in the tank and also because I'm not sure on the baffle integrity yet. Last thing I need is to have a bunch of macro make its way and root into the display!

Additionally, I figured running the carbon/GFO reactors should handle much of the nutrient export and I don't really have a heavily stocked tank. If I end up upgrading the sump down the road (in case this one doesn't work as efficiently as I hope it will) I could get one with a fuge at that point.

nine8taco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yash is that weather stripping, one piece on each side of the baffle or is the baffle in the fold of the stripping? there should be little or no pressure on the baffles as long as the water level is close on both sides of it. it looks great!!

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yash is that weather stripping, one piece on each side of the baffle or is the baffle in the fold of the stripping? there should be little or no pressure on the baffles as long as the water level is close on both sides of it. it looks great!!

Here's what a close up of the strip looks like. It is flat on the tacky side and has got a ridge on the dry side. I attached the tacky side to the side edge of the baffle and folded it slightly to glue to the baffle. That is how the video shows it installed as well.

After the leak I thought about how it would work reversed. i.e. Stick it to the side and bottom of the sump walls and bottom in one long piece and then try to wedge the baffle between the two folds. This likely wouldn't work because the baffle has to be brought in at a slight angle to fit snug against the walls.

Additionally, putting it in backwards won't create a perfect seal wither since there would be no tacky against the edge of the baffle. Figured there would still be the tiniest gap there.

Your have any other thoughts by any chance? I'm open to suggestions at this point.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1459905810.672847.jpg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sump looks nice! Make sure the weather stripping adhesive is ok for the tank. So did you use silicone to hold it in place?

nine8taco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that stuff seems like a good idea, but like you said you couldnt get it in there tight because the baffle has to go in at an angle to fit in the tank. for me i just use the ge silicone 1. it doesnt have a great adhesion to the acrylic but it really doesnt matter as the have almost no pressure on them

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that stuff seems like a good idea, but like you said you couldnt get it in there tight because the baffle has to go in at an angle to fit in the tank. for me i just use the ge silicone 1. it doesnt have a great adhesion to the acrylic but it really doesnt matter as the have almost no pressure on them

I assume you have built your own sump as well, only with acrylic to seal the baffles. If so, when you say it doesn't adhere well to the acrylic, do you also see minor water seepage? Or it is pretty water tight? The reason I ask is that if this weather stripping doesn't work out like I hope it will, I might consider going the silicone route if it is more water tight.

Reeflogic