OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks Dave! The acrylic baffle experiment didn't go so well. The baffles leaked more than I anticipated in a couple of hours. So I ended up calling a ton of glass shops regardless of whether or not they were listed as auto glass places. I found one that is going to cut me the baffles out of 1/4" glass for only $10 a baffle. So it's back to the glass baffle plan.

All in all it will end up being a lot more water tight and I can now use silicone without any concerns about adhering.

So thank you for the silicone link. I'll pick that up and can finally get my sump completed this weekend.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've got glass I'd go with standard silicone over the one I sent a link for. The link is best for bonding acrylic to glass and is what I used. Just make sure you get the one for aquariums (can't remember if it is type I or II).

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've got glass I'd go with standard silicone over the one I sent a link for. The link is best for bonding acrylic to glass and is what I used. Just make sure you get the one for aquariums (can't remember if it is type I or II).

Gotcha! Thanks for the heads up! Good thing I hadn't already made the trip to HD yet [emoji4]

nine8taco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is type 1 if you're talking about the ge silicone. But supposedly all silicone are safe once they are completely cured. If it was me tho is stick with what has worked for others

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is type 1 if you're talking about the ge silicone. But supposedly all silicone are safe once they are completely cured. If it was me tho is stick with what has worked for others

Yeah, GE Type I is the most common that I have seen. The other one I have seen is listed as aquarium safe. I believe the brand is DAP - sold at HD.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff made by DAP for aquarium use comes in tiny tubes, ending in more cost than 1 tube of GE with leftovers, slide a nail into the nozzle and it'll stay good for a while...not forever. Lol.

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer dude. I was hoping the weather strips would work.

Me too dude!! It would have been awesome if it did with the flexibility it would have provided. It is the bottom silicone that caused the issues. Even after easing the corners of the baffle to contour around the silicone it still leaked. I just can't see how it's possible to get a completely airtight seal.

In any case I'm glad I gave it a shot. Was worth it to experiment.

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my stand painted. Need one more coat and touch up a few areas. Then poly and it should be all done! I'm almost done with the sump as well. Pics of that soon.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1460404256.728229.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1460404268.401251.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1460404279.637158.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1460404289.659220.jpg

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It turned out really nice, Yash! Can't wait to see the tank sitting on it!! :D
Dude it looks awesome

Thanks guys! It's amazing how much all the little bits add up time wise. Getting in I figured I'd have this whole thing ready to roll in a month. It's still probably a few weeks away at the very least before I can transfer tanks.

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it in the thread but what did you "paint" on the inside?

I painted the inside bottom of the stand and about a foot lip on the vertical inside sides with Flex Seal liquid (the kind you can brush/roll on). The rest I painted with white exterior paint.

I have a mixed experience with the Flex Seal.

1. I couldn't get it to roll on because of its viscosity/tackiness. The roller would end up sliding instead of rolling. Painting with a brush worked much better.

2. This was an error on my part but painters tape to mask the boundaries is critical. I went free hand without thinking that I was only going to paint part of it. End result is that when it came time to paint with regular paint, there was no clearly defined boundary. As a result some of the paint that overlapped with the flex seal started beading since the rubber wouldn't hold the paint.

3. It can get quite expensive ($40 for a 32 oz can).

The jury is still out on its hardiness and how well it holds/lasts. I figured this tank would be a good test subject for future builds. Hopefully it will be as tough and waterproof as their goofy commercials make it out to be.

Sorry for the long winded explanation. Figured I'd provide all details since this is more of a journal on my build [emoji4]

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 75 29.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 76 29.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 54 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 48 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back