OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another frustrated update. I restarted the cycling process yesterday. Replaced the old SW with fresh SW that I tested for 0 phosphates before adding. I did not add any fish food this time either (to eliminate the possibility of phosphates from the food). Instead I used 100% pure ammonia - enough to bump up ammonia to 3ppm. I just tested the water from the Brute and the phosphates tested at 0.05ppm!! So the rock seems to be the culprit in leeching the phosphates.

Thinking back now, the only possible cause for this could be the water I used during the LC bath process. For both the muriatic acid bath as well as LC bath, I used regular city tap water. I just tested the tap water in my house, and the phosphates tested at 0.19ppm!! My only theory is that the phosphates in the city water negated the LC bath process.

I am new to curing rock in this manner so if anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Needless to say this is very frustrating as I can assume my only option at this time would be to redo the LC bath, this time using RO fresh water?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another frustrated update. I restarted the cycling process yesterday. Replaced the old SW with fresh SW that I tested for 0 phosphates before adding. I did not add any fish food this time either (to eliminate the possibility of phosphates from the food). Instead I used 100% pure ammonia - enough to bump up ammonia to 3ppm. I just tested the water from the Brute and the phosphates tested at 0.05ppm!! So the rock seems to be the culprit in leeching the phosphates.

Thinking back now, the only possible cause for this could be the water I used during the LC bath process. For both the muriatic acid bath as well as LC bath, I used regular city tap water. I just tested the tap water in my house, and the phosphates tested at 0.19ppm!! My only theory is that the phosphates in the city water negated the LC bath process.

I am new to curing rock in this manner so if anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Needless to say this is very frustrating as I can assume my only option at this time would be to redo the LC bath, this time using RO fresh water?
I'm wondering if a gfo reactor would keep the phosphates under control until the rocks stop leaching. 0.05. isn't terrible awful. You probably won't be adding sensitive coral at first anyway.

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if a gfo reactor would keep the phosphates under control until the rocks stop leaching. 0.05. isn't terrible awful. You probably won't be adding sensitive coral at first anyway.

I do have a GFO reactor that I plan on installing in this setup. I agree that 0.05 is not critically bad I don't think. Though this is after only one day. On the last go around it read 0.09 after one week. So I'm anxious to see what it does over the next week. If it keeps climbing I might not have an option but to reboot the LC process.

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of things, Yash. I've also read that Brute cans WILL leach PO4. Also, did you read or check on the ammonia you are adding? Did you check to see if adding pure ammonia if it might give false readings? Maybe grab a 5g bucket and toss one of the rocks in a few gallons of water and test before you add the rock and after the rock is in it for 24 hours, without adding any ammonia and of course without being in the Brute, take all the rocks out of the brute and test the water in the brute after 24 hours. It's very likely that it is the rocks leaching, but what if it's not?? Bummed that you had to start over...you were so close.... :(

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip, Doug! I will test a piece of rock the way you described. Just one thing though - I read that once you give the Brute a good wash, it should not leach many (if any) phosphates. Wouldn't doing the LC bath get rid of that phosphate from the Brute?

I also did some additional reading on the LC bath process, and from users' experiences I guess I can do the bath and cycling processes simultaneously. I restart the LC bath using the salt water I currently have in the tank, and keep adding LC daily until my phosphate levels are as close to 0 as possible. Once that is accomplished, replace the rock with fresh SW, rinse the rocks out to rid them of any precipitate from the LC bath and I can continue on with my cycling process. I think I might just start that tonight as well. I'm only a week into the cycling so I don't think this will set me back terribly. I too have a sneaking suspicion that either the first bath did not get rid of all the phosphates, or the tap water negated the bath process. I will use strictly SW this time around.

You live, you learn :)

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh, wasn't aware you could do them simultaneously! But, as you know, my first experience with dry rock was about 3 years ago, so your research is much better than anything I can advise! The Brute leaching subject was something I researched several years ago and it was from folks who were using them to store RODI water, which was something I used to do, so I'm not sure if cleaning them will prevent it or not. I stopped storing my water in them and used the food grade plastic drums. I only use the Brutes for salt water mixing and transferring stuff around. My 40g brute has been cleaned about 1,000 times since 2005 or so, so it better be phosphate free lol.

I think you are on the right track if you can cycle and dose the LC, seems to be the best option!!

C'est la vie!!! :)

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the more I think about the more I feel it is the rock that is the issue after all. I can't imagine a Brute would leach 0.05 worth of phosphates in a 24 hour period.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another frustrated update. I restarted the cycling process yesterday.....

Just a sanity check here Yash, as I'm following along, but you're curing and or cooking your rock right, not "cycling"?

Maybe I've missed some posts.

An acid bath to remove organics; a LC bath to try and deal with any excess/surface bound PO4, then into your system to actually cycle, right?

Personally, I don't know if one should expect 0ppm PO4 at any time until after the initial cycle, and the initial micro algae that are hopefully present were consuming PO4, and had found the equilibrium (sync).

Prolly confusing myself.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself did it old school btw. I read and researched on "cooking" and LC, and in the end threw my dry BRS rock right into the empty tank, out of the box, and filled with RODI, then salt. Thirty days later, ugly as could be with 0 nitrite, started my CUC. In my logic, any organics and PO4 just got me to the end I wanted.

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a sanity check here Yash, as I'm following along, but you're curing and or cooking your rock right, not "cycling"?

Maybe I've missed some posts.

An acid bath to remove organics; a LC bath to try and deal with any excess/surface bound PO4, then into your system to actually cycle, right?

Personally, I don't know if one should expect 0ppm PO4 at any time until after the initial cycle, and the initial micro algae that are hopefully present were consuming PO4, and had found the equilibrium (sync).

Prolly confusing myself.

I did the acid bath to peel off the top layer, then did a 5-day LC bath (curing part). All this was done using regular tap water. About 8 days back I started the cycling process (still in a Brute) using ammonia and Microbacter7. Tested PO4 a week later and it was 0.09. Emptied out the Brute and restarted with (confirmed) 0ppm SW and in 24 hours, the PO4 was already at 0.05. So there certainly seems some residual PO4 I would imagine.I don't expect to get it down all the way to 0, but I'm shooting for at least 0.03 before adding to the tank.

The reason I am cycling in the Brute as opposed to the tank is that it is going to be tricky to get both tanks going upstairs at the same time. You've seen where my current tank is (with the Apex cabinet next to it). The new tank is going to go in the same place so I don't have to move the Apex box out of the wall. What I am trying to do is also cycle the rocks at the same time to develop a bacteria load that will handle ammonia and resulting nitrite.

I'm still unsure of how the whole tank move will take place. I would imagine if I have the rocks cured as well cycled, that I can take a big rubbermaid tub upstairs, drain my current tank, move the rock and fish into the rubbermaid and run a heater and PH in there. I should be able to balance my T5 fixture on top of the tub for light. Then move my old tank out, slide in my new tank, put the rock and sand in and transfer the fish/corals over.

Am I asking for trouble with this plan? If so, I might have to rethink the strategy. The only other option is to drain the current tank to almost - just leaving enough for the fish. Slide the tank over a few feet which should open up the space for the new tank. Fill the tank back up and get it running. Then run both tanks side by side and cycle the rocks in the tank itself.

Personally, I would prefer to cycle the rocks in the Brute as long as I don't end up with another cycle when I move them up to the DT.

Mark75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yash,...I believe the LC should precipitate all the phosphate out, no matter what the water/rock contains. It is not like a filter that has absorption limits.

Reeflogic