Goniopora polyps dying

  • Thread starter Thread starter MartinM
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
is there tissue death? If not, maybe give it some time. If so, try clove oil dip since iodine didn’t do the trick. If that doesn’t help, could be time for antibiotics. But first wait and see, IMO.
 
is there tissue death? If not, maybe give it some time. If so, try clove oil dip since iodine didn’t do the trick. If that doesn’t help, could be time for antibiotics. But first wait and see, IMO.
@MartinM no new tissue death that I can see...I read the full study on clove oil dip for goni and decided to do a 10 minute clove oil dip...will keep you posted..if that doesn't work then antibiotic time...
 
Because it’s tough to get accurate dosages with clove oil unless you extract it yoirself with lab equipment, I generally do iodine > antibiotics now, fwiw.
I’m going to try KCl dip today. 10 min at 1.5% as per this paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...e infection is a serious,dies in a short time.

I will use 15 grams in 1 liter of fresh saltwater.
Unfortunately their method is not crystal clear to me, so that is my best approximation of what they did. Looking at posts here with KCl, folks here use far less for flat worms (0.75-6.5 g KCl per liter). Hopefully this is a safe method. It was not clear if the KCl concentration was calculated by mass or by volume, and whether it was used instead of seawater or in seawater. But since every other dip procedure is in seawater, I an using the volumetric 1.5% of KCl in seawater.
 
There’s another paper out also from a university in Taiwan for KCl dips, specifically for a go Goniopora coral farm, it’s a very effective protocol.
 
There’s another paper out also from a university in Taiwan for KCl dips, specifically for a go Goniopora coral farm, it’s a very effective protocol.
Thanks! I’ll look it up. I did 5 min KCl dips yesterday on anything suspicious followed by a bit of iodine in a rinse bath.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new