A4D41E78-E3FB-431F-91D0-EE9E2FE06956.jpeg
You can see the the original frag from the underside

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple was fragged from the mother colony by me at our local club meeting either the last weekend of May or first weekend of June. It seams like it’s growing around it and not really contouring it. The frag itself was a 1” rectangle that you see a little of from the underside. Everything else has grown from that

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive had pure luck with gonis' and noticeable growth. I keep them under moderate light and water flow with occasional feedings and at mid tank or Below mid tank.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought another Goniopora yesterday. A Metallic Green, or perhaps Ultra Green, not sure, but from GBR.

Has anyone documented a Goni's skeletal mass increasing in captivity?
Obviously they need to survive for this to occur.

upload_2018-11-12_12-47-27.png

Yes - - I made this video a few years back. I bought a G.stokesi and wanted to chronical its life. I figured it might last a year, but went much longer than that. It died a couple years ago after a Power Blue Tang ate a quarter of it. It took about 9 months for it to waste away after that "munching".

Breefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
648081a579686223c8ff01c0f175ae7f.jpg
ead61e55e31226fbf793580aec2b076b.jpg
9119998efaba1be94f8d65a9dceab39a.jpg
1353a56d05395de100ca763affbaa73e.jpg

I have been incredibly lucky with a green one. Was told it was an easy beginner coral a few years ago at the Lfs and have been lucky enough to have had this one go from golf ball size skeleton on a half inch piece of pvc to a baseball sized skeleton on a one and a half inch pvc. Volleyball sized when she opens. She's even lasted through a tank collapse and a few moves. Currently recovering from a nitrate spike. IRON. My Stokesi's tentacles start receding when I stop dosing iron.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scrubber_steve

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - - I made this video a few years back. I bought a G.stokesi and wanted to chronical its life. I figured it might last a year, but went much longer than that. It died a couple years ago after a Power Blue Tang ate a quarter of it. It took about 9 months for it to waste away after that "munching".

Great video, & I loved the accompying music

What is your advice, besides not letting a powder blue any where near them?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have had a few colonies over the years, I don't believe they grew as fast as this frag I got back in May.

gonimay.jpg

Taken just now after I finished going through the thread

IMG_1043.JPG

Hard to tell from the picture but it has encrusted quite a bit for a little over 6 months. Relatively high under kessils with good flow. I target feed once a week. While the bleached pink may look a little nicer it is a lot darker and healthier now. It was a fresh cut when I got it.

OP
OP
Scrubber_steve

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have had a few colonies over the years, I don't believe they grew as fast as this frag I got back in May.

gonimay.jpg

Taken just now after I finished going through the thread

IMG_1043.JPG

Hard to tell from the picture but it has encrusted quite a bit for a little over 6 months. Relatively high under kessils with good flow. I target feed once a week. While the bleached pink may look a little nicer it is a lot darker and healthier now. It was a fresh cut when I got it.
what food do you use?

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awsome reply, thanks very much.

So
1. how about under LED ? key spectrum ?
2. I've heard it recommended to keep potassium at NSW level ?
3. just how much flow ?
4. NO3 PO4 ?

I kept mine under MH (the one in the video) from 2011 to 2017. I was surprised when I learned it had been at 75-90 PAR all those years (after buying an Apogee 510 in 2015). Now, I'm keeping a metallic green and red Goni beneath LED (SB Reeflights) with a little T5 supplemental. These are sitting in about 100 PAR. Notice I have them sitting in the sand as previously mentioned by another reefer above.

[Gonio Video]

Last edited:

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what food do you use?

I use a mix but the goni mostly gets reef roids. That being said I soak LRS, reef roids, and sometimes other foods (coral frenzy pellets, PE Mysis, Calenus, Pellets ect). The LRS in this case is for my meaty LPS as much as my fish so it's thawed out with the reef roids and mixed up together instead of stuck into the tank frozen as if it were for only the fish. The goni of course is smaller mouthed so it's getting smaller foods, but some of the "juice" from the frozen and even larger sized dry foods.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video, & I loved the accompying music

What is your advice, besides not letting a powder blue any where near them?

Thanks!
Recommendations:
1.) Scour the net for as much as you can on these. Posting your success/struggles and asking for input (like this thread) help not only you, but the rest of us Goni lovers.
2.) <150 PAR (as previously mentioned.
3.) I have run a wide range of nitrates 1-25ppm and PO4 (0.006 - 0.060 ppm). I for one cannot say any of these are bad (or necessarily ideal.
4.) I read to feed the fish hard so they poop a lot. I've done that and my Goni's survived a number of months at ULNS - - before I started dosing NO3 and PO4.
5.) I added a macro refugium to help steady my nutrients (NO3, PO4) and provide pods for my mandarin gobi and my Goni's. I highly recommend a macro refugium - - but, if I recall correctly, you have one already.
6.) Stability, consistency and keep things as constant as possible (is that redundant? ;)). I think this is the key and is more important for G.Stokesi than even for most SPS.

My sense on point 6 is more about the bacteria and other microbes on our corals. After reading/watching some recent scientific findings on bacterial infections of corals, I am starting to think that harmful bacteria are always present on our corals, but the coral keep ahead of those "bad" bugs so long as the coral stays healthy and strong. Healthy coral must be hosting some other micro fauna that keep the "bad" bugs to low enough level or they produce enzymes and proteins that do that. I believe Julian Sprung also postulated this about a decade ago.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what effect does the sand have, as mine are sitting on a bare bottom covered in coralline

I've "read" (but don't know for sure), that sitting in the sand keeps them closer to a food source (pods and pod fry) that live in the sand. But, I've seen a number of YouTube videos of Goni keepers that have bare bottoms and some of the Goni's are mounted on posts and platforms. One thing I've also noticed is that those who have been successful tend to keep more than one and they keep them close to each other. In the wild, these things don't live in isolation. They live in huge communities.

In my tank, at night after lights out, I can see a lot of small shrimp swimming around and beneath my Goniopora. I guess once the pods get large enough, they are not "food" for the Goni's, - - - but the baby pods (microscopic) probably are.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back