Good Afternoon!

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. I recommend Hannah kits for alkalinity and phosphate and Red Sea or Salifert for other tests. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

stewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome
finding nemo fish GIF by Monterey Bay Aquarium

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for having me!

My first salt tank. So far I'm having fairly good luck with everything.
1627240085255.png

Here's whats in there:
20Lb Black Hawaiian Caribsea Live Sand
10 Lb + one medium arch(2lb?) Caribsea Life Rock
1 fake coral thing and some loose shells from vacations and JoAnn Fabric (for the Hermits when they grow)
Stock Filter, Stock Light, M50 Heater(going to add a backup...)

One each:
Ocellaris Clownfish
Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crab
Royal Gramma Basslet
Dwarf Red Leg Crab
Margarita Snail
Cerith Snail
Astraea snail
Neon Blue Goby
Red Banded Trochus Snail
Nassarius Snail
Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Azure Damsel, Kupang Damsel
Spiny Star Astraea

I'm about 3 weeks in, it took about a week to cycle with just the clown and 1 crab, did a damsel 3 snails and another crab at the end of week 2, just put the last two fish, snails, and shrimp in yesterday. Feeding Omega pellets, Freeze dried brine shrimp, and a tiny bit of nuri seaweed.
I realize I probably rushed it... but I'm watching close, prepared to change water, and will keep an eye on the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates to make sure the cycle is good.
The fish I have now are all I plan to have. Might add a crab or two, and a snail or two.
In a couple weeks(maybe a month) I may consider some Green star polyps or something easily kept.

I need to get a decent test kit before I do coral, any suggestions?
(been using tetra strips, but worry about accuracy when I do coral)

First coral suggestions would be great as well.

Thanks!
Welcome!

Already good suggestions on here about test kit manufacturers. I'd suggest diving in and seeing directions online for each test kit before buying kit because if its too complicated then I don't do testing like I should. Some are easier than others.

Glad you joined and tank looking great!

ProxyAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.... I need to get a decent test kit before I do coral, any suggestions? .... (been using tetra strips, but worry about accuracy when I do coral) ....

Welcome to R2R !

You appear to be doing well.

As for testing suggestions, I have used test strips, API Test kits, Hannah checkers, .... etc.

I can recommend the Hannah Nitrate High Range Colorimeter, Hannah Phosphate High Range Colorimeter, Hannah Phosphate Low Range Colorimeter, and APERA Instruments AI209 pH Meter.

The Hannah Nitrate High Range Colorimeter is far easier than the low range model. The latter has more steps and the filter stage is prone to leaks. The only problem with the High Range is that there is a shortage of reagent at present. Online sellers can be found selling reagent at prices more than double the usual price.

Both the Hannah Phosphate testers work well, have few steps, are reliable, and can do both freshwater and saltwater.

The APERA pH meter works well and can be standardized to 3 pH ranges. That said, there may be better units out there. I have only used 4 different units in my career.

Best wishes,
Jim

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back