Good Blenny species for a 20 gallon?

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So I'm looking at some blenny species for a 20 gallon tank since I'm looking for something with more movement than the pearly jawfish and captive bred bluestripe pipefish that I have planned as well and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Tank dimensions are: 23.6 x 14.2 x 14.2
It is macro algae dominant, but I'm pretty sure none of them would find the algae a snack since they're either fully calcified / have calcified roots

Some of the species I'm looking at right now are:
Harptail Blenny (captive bred) Meiacanthus mossambicus
Kamohara Blenny (captive bred) Meiacanthus kamoharai
Smiths Blenny (Meiacanthus smithii)

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, any of the ones you have listed should be fine. I have two fang Blennys of a different type introduced at the same time and they don’t bother each other at all. (The other is a striped Blenny) May not always be the case though.
58A07898-0704-4E5C-B04C-C9B8B5159B42.jpeg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy ! Always been partial to the Tailspot Blenny. Lots of personality. Good luck with your search!
Thank you! I've been looking at the whitelined combtooth which is also similar but it's strictly a herbivore it seems like so im unsure about that option

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, any of the ones you have listed should be fine. I have two fang Blennys of a different type introduced at the same time and they don’t bother each other at all. (The other is a striped Blenny) May not always be the case though.
58A07898-0704-4E5C-B04C-C9B8B5159B42.jpeg
Woah! Thank you for the advice! The stripe blenny was also one that caught my attention but I'm not sure if it's a little too big for a 20

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO almost any blenny here could be maybe bar 3-4 which would need a 30G. But Blennies are pretty nano friendly.

I just found my Bi-color who had been living the back chamber of my AIO for at least 3 months now.....

I thought he was long gone....

If he can survive in a 1 gallon space for 3 months just fine.... yeah... you get the point.

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO almost any blenny here could be maybe bar 3-4 which would need a 30G. But Blennies are pretty nano friendly.

I just found my Bi-color who had been living the back chamber of my AIO for at least 3 months now.....

I thought he was long gone....

If he can survive in a 1 gallon space for 3 months just fine.... yeah... you get the point.
Yeah I get that, I'm thinking about going with a Smith's out of the 3 since they only stay at 2.5-3in and are little less active it seems

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back