Help Me Choose a Blenny!

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon tank and I’m currently dealing with what I believe to be a bryopsis outbreak. I’ve wanted a blenny anyways, but its more important to me than ever that I get herbivores to help keep my tank looking good.

My dream blenny is the Red Sea mimic blenny but that thing seems to be downright impossible to acquire so I’m gonna get something else.

I’d love a lawnmower or starry blenny since they’re known (especially the lawnmower, just read the name) to absolutely devour algae; but a 20G tank seems small for them and I’d prefer not to have a 5” Blenny end up turning into a massive bully towards other livestock.

So I’m partial towards something from the genus ecsenius instead of the Typical salarias herbivore blennies. Currently my tank has no livestock, but Im aware that in something that’s only 20 gallons I can’t expect to successfully house very many fish, maybe like 5. So I want to make each and every fish count for something, contributing color, character, movement, etc.

Based on their unique caudal tail and bright colors, I’m tempted by flame tail blennies but it doesn’t seem like theres a lot of literature on them online. Are they good at eating algae? If not, what species would you get? Bicolor? Tailspot? Black comb tooth?

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend the Lawnmower Blenny. It is not typically aggressive towards other fish unless it is another Blenny, so if you did get the lawnmower then it would be your only blenny. They are amazing algae eaters with a great personality. I love their grumpy looking face they wear all the time.

souciemm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tailspot never made much of a difference in algae. He definitely picks at the rocks but I doubt he consumes more algae than his waste products produce. I vote for getting an urchin/snails/cowrie and keep your blenny niche open in case the red sea mimic blenny ever shows up. You'd hate to settle for a blenny you dont really like and then have the one you've always wanted show up 2 weeks later and now you've got no room. You could also get another non blenny variety of fish in the mean time.

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis is not something a fish will eat. Lawnmower blennies and blennies in general prefer to eat short, soft hair algae or filament algae that dusts the glass. Bryopsis is too tough for most blenny's tastes. But there are plenty marine animals that do eat bryopsis. Emerald crabs, florida cerith snails, sea hares, and lettuce nudibranchs have all eaten bryopsis IME. also, try H202. But, it is good to keep a blenny because they're cool so if you're simply going for looks as well as algae eating ability then you should get a starry blenny.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
lawnmower blenny’s are likely to nip corals if not enough algae/food. reef safe with caution

i’d recommend: tail spot blenny or bi color blenny for a 20G

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmowers are pretty big for a 20 gallon.

If you're really dealing with Bryopsis, you'll have to go to war. Fish won't do it.

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmowers are pretty big for a 20 gallon.

If you're really dealing with Bryopsis, you'll have to go to war. Fish won't do it.
Exactly. I fell into the "lawnmower blenny will take care of my algae" trap. They are actually pretty particular when it comes to what algae they will eat. They normally like the fine, small hairs and the film on the glass.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back