Good camera for taking pics of coral?

fity2pounder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a decent priced camera to take pics of my coral in a frag tank...any suggestions? examples of pics would be awesome too!!! Thanks!

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your budget and willingness to deal with a 'learning curve' will dictate the advise you get. I say 'learning curve' because if you've never worked with an SLR/DSLR camera, you will have quite a learning curve to deal with.

You budget will dictate if the advise you receive leans towards a quality Point and Shoot, such as the Canon G series, or a DSLR such as a Nikon or Canon DSLR...

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point on learning curve Sid, before I had gotten my dslr I had been shooting with film slrs for years older Nikons from the 70's without all the bells and whistles. Even with my experience with film slrs more than 5 years later I am still learning with my dslr. Not to talk about trying to learn all I can do with photoshop in post processing. However I will say that when I got my first digital camera I am happy that I went the route of getting a dslr instead of going the point and shoot route. One other thing I will mention is that there is always the debate of Nkon vs Cannon. One of the nice things about the Nikon dslrs is the fact that you can use older lenses from the film slrs on the Nikon dslr body, not sure if this is true for Cannon, so for someone like me who already had a collection of lenses from my film camera I am able to use them on my digital, do have to go into full manual mode but with being able to get instant feedback on the image you can play around with your shutter speed to get correct exposure, or if you have a light meter just put that to use :smile:

yeldarbj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While that's an amazing combo, a more budget friendly option would be a used Canon 40d or 50d with a Canon 60mm macro lens. If you buy used, you could probably get the combo for around $750.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can say that it isn't always the camera that determines the good pictures as someone with the best equipment and no knowledge on how to use it will not get good pictures. If this is your first round, look at what you are going to need to learn and if you want to jump for a DSLR or go with an advanced point and shoot. I would love a DSLR camera, but it is not possible at the moment so instead I got a Fuji F550EXR. As long as you have a macro setting, manual controls for the aperture and shutter and can take images in RAW you will be able to get good pictures. with a little post processing.

Now if you are willing to put in the time needed to learn all the different stuff you can do with a DSLR and multiple lenses by all means go for it. If I had access to funds and time it is for sure the way I would have gone. Just know that if you are coming from a standard simple point and shoot camera it can be overwhelming at first.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is taken with the Canon 1Ds MKIII posted above cost 7k
hydrogen bomb by matsinger2, on Flickr

This is taken with a Canon XTI which can be bought on ebay used for under 250
JC PPE Fevia Colony by matsinger2, on Flickr

CDness hit it right on the head, its not the cost of the camera its what you know. I consider both images rather good because I know how to set my white balance and the cuase and effect relationship between settings. In my opinion if I where to hand you both camera's you would get a better image from the Canon XIT (>250 camera) because there is less "Options" and "settings" to deal with. Any one getting into the camera part of the hobby and want something for there tank and personal life Vacation/Family/just to have I recommend the Canon XTI. They have since updated this with three newer versions one with HD Video for under 600 still but you can not beat the XTI for under 250.Now the lens on the other hand I say buy the best you can buy. There IS​ a direct correlation with your lens and quality of images you deliver. A cheap lens is made poorly and low quality glass. I recommend for a person on a budget the Canon 50mm 2.5 Macro its under 300 and is very nice. These are the lens's I would recommend

EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro Autofocus Lens < its nice because it can be used as a every day lens to just not macro under 300
Canon Telephoto EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Autofocus Lens < Nice lens but harder to use for Vacation and what not under 550
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens < very nice lens with the IS and L serious glass around 900
Sigma 180 macro I think they retail for about 750 but with 180mm you will get alot more rech
Canon Telephoto EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Autofocus Lens < This is what I use, 180 so I get some good reach and use Tubes so I get a real "Macro close image" Although I would not recombined buying it right now this lens is the same lens canon has been selling for 15ish years with no Update to the glass and internals there has been talk about them Making a MK II where they update the lens to todays technology basically this year so spending the 1600 for it for a new one to come out which only happens after a long time would be a wast.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dont know crap and want to know more. I am in the same boat and looking for a camera but I do not use it often so I do not want to spend a fortune, I would just like to take better pics with out them being so blue or fuzzy.

I keep getting told the body makes no difference its the lens so why so much for some bodies? I also need white ballance and look for a camera that does raw.

The camera I keep getting told to buy is nikon d3100 but still a little more than i want to spend.. Any advice?

Also in the pic above the pic taken with the canon xti what lens was used? That camera looks nice, does it have white ballance and raw?

Last edited:

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can take the picture in RAW, you can do white balance adjustments after the pic was taken in Photoshop. It's what I have been doing for years. I started taking RAW with a Fuji E550 and now have the F550EXR. I have yet to get the crispness I used to get with the old camera, but I like it that my new one turns on when I push the power button ;). It is all about learning features. If you want to start, be sure to start out small as if you go too big, you can get overwhelmed and confused. Get a camera that has manual adjustment settings and ability to take RAW. You can post process all the advanced features when you can see it on the screen and how the changes affect the photo. That way when you are ready to take the plunge to DSLR you know the terminology and what changes to the settings do to the image taken. All you need to learn is the NEW settings on the DSLR that your other one didn't have.

If you don't want to spend the cash on the full CS version, Adobe Photoshop Elements comes with Adobe Camera Raw for editing RAW images. Then you can do the rest of the basic editing in Elements.

Remember as we always say in the hobby that nothing good ever comes fast. Well the same applies here as learn and go slowly. When you get the hang of the easier stuff, move to the next experience level.

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is taken with the Canon 1Ds MKIII posted above cost 7k
hydrogen bomb by matsinger2, on Flickr

This is taken with a Canon XTI which can be bought on ebay used for under 250
JC PPE Fevia Colony by matsinger2, on Flickr

CDness hit it right on the head, its not the cost of the camera its what you know. I consider both images rather good because I know how to set my white balance and the cuase and effect relationship between settings. In my opinion if I where to hand you both camera's you would get a better image from the Canon XIT (>250 camera) because there is less "Options" and "settings" to deal with. Any one getting into the camera part of the hobby and want something for there tank and personal life Vacation/Family/just to have I recommend the Canon XTI. They have since updated this with three newer versions one with HD Video for under 600 still but you can not beat the XTI for under 250.Now the lens on the other hand I say buy the best you can buy. There IS​ a direct correlation with your lens and quality of images you deliver. A cheap lens is made poorly and low quality glass. I recommend for a person on a budget the Canon 50mm 2.5 Macro its under 300 and is very nice. These are the lens's I would recommend

EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro Autofocus Lens < its nice because it can be used as a every day lens to just not macro under 300
Canon Telephoto EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Autofocus Lens < Nice lens but harder to use for Vacation and what not under 550
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens < very nice lens with the IS and L serious glass around 900
Sigma 180 macro I think they retail for about 750 but with 180mm you will get alot more rech
Canon Telephoto EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Autofocus Lens < This is what I use, 180 so I get some good reach and use Tubes so I get a real "Macro close image" Although I would not recombined buying it right now this lens is the same lens canon has been selling for 15ish years with no Update to the glass and internals there has been talk about them Making a MK II where they update the lens to todays technology basically this year so spending the 1600 for it for a new one to come out which only happens after a long time would be a wast.

I agree with what M&M says. He just helped me pick out my new equipement. I just got my rebel xti and 50mm lens in yesterday. Here's a couple of pics I took as an amateur. I have no idea about editing or white balance, etc.. I just point and shoot but I'm sure that it's a sweet camera and lens, I just need to learn more about how to use it. Best part was I got the body, lens and tripod delivered for under $500 :) It's used but in great condition. Can't beat that with a bat.

IMG_9781.jpg

IMG_9571.jpg

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All DSLR's to my knowledge will have Raw, Raw is just the format you shoot in. I for one do not do my tank shots in RAW as it take alot of messing with to get a accurate photo in Photoshop. I shoot JPG Large take it right from my camera add the border and post it. Raw is to much work I only use it for commercial/advertising work I do on the side.

Both lens's on there where the same the Canon F/3.5 180L Then the setting where most likely the same as well minus shutter speed.

You can have a 200 dollar DSLR and a 45K Hasselblad The difference is the features. All you truly need is 8-10MPG in a camera. Anything more then that is overkill for reefers IMHO, Lower then that you might not have the best Quality. Higher then that you are paying for something you dont need. The MPG will allow you to basically print bigger 8-10 will allow you to print fine and give you great resolution. The sensor is another thing you that can jack up the price on a camera. All the bells and whistles will increase it. Going FF (Full Frame) will definitely bring it up ALOT more. Things like the 7k 1DS MKIII is full frame it has a high MGP and it also is made top notch quality. Im not saying the XTI is a toy but the 1D is a professional serious camera made of metal water proof and comes with things like the side grip built in. XTI does not and is made of a hard Composite plastic with some metal parts. Also the 1D has a high ROf (Rate of Fire) The 1d MK3 can do I think it was 10 frames a second the XTI is like 3. But what reefer needs a burst that big? Profesional photographers shooting sports do though. I mean I can go on and on on the features. The XTI will perform to any reefers needs IMHO for under 250.

Now if you are looking for something with a profesional build you have a little more money to spend and you might want to look at the 40d and 50d. Possibly the 7D if you want to really quality camera.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for expanding on my tongue in cheek reply M and M.

Everyone has a different method for Post Processing, I really prefer to use RAW and Adobe Lightroom, as it allows me the most options, and allows me to process many images simultaneously.

A recent example is this:

What the camera thinks the WB should be.

What I set the WB at.

I could then copy those settings and apply them to the other 70+ images from the shoot.

Scotty LaBeouf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the canon t6 and it took great pictures cant wait to get it back! Costco was selling it with two lenses, 32g lexar memory card, and a nice canon bag for $600. should never have returned it to buy an 87' bmw

zeeGGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on how far you wanna go, and your budget as mentioned above. I'm a newbie as well. Here are sample photos taken using a Nikon D7200 with Tokina 100 ATX pro lens.Downloaded directly from the camera to iPhone.
dcedbc5d2d2a32032b9d9abd1c4cf1b0.jpg
77b169b0ff0662f432870cbb06e6f6d2.jpg
eef1afa3f06e5a11e90cb25a8b36bfc4.jpg
01e0439a4f75a609e5614ba8c064e823.jpg
69429b7fdabf629cbc46a891babd540f.jpg
6703dbe6107a1b8c0f7c1288d68c128b.jpg
fd2bfd5f3a294c6a8399b703dfaab669.jpg
f0cd3ef268143967c06f767dd321b52f.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back