Good Day Everyone.

WaderJames1983!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48" x 39" x 19" DIY tank with three mp40's. My question is I have two Mp40's on one side, with one on the other. See picture's below (sorry only ones I had handy)... My water column is always looking dirty with sand blowing around. I run a filter sock, carbon, ATS, and skimmer. The sand is from the ocean, sugar like particles. Would placing the MP40's on the back wall be better, essentially making them only have to travel 39" to the front of glass, instead of 48"... Any advice on placement to keep my sand bed from flying around, and still providing good flow would be appreciated.
Tank.jpg
tank2.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of flow in their from 3 MP40’s I would try 1 on the back wall and 1 at each end.

You may need to raise them a little higher and turn them down until you can avoid the sand storm

Just move them around until you get it about right. I’ve only got 2 MP40’s in my Red Sea tank, and they are about 2/3 up from the bottom and also agitate the water surface

OP
OP
W

WaderJames1983!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of flow in their from 3 MP40’s I would try 1 on the back wall and 1 at each end.

You may need to raise them a little higher and turn them down until you can avoid the sand storm

Just move them around until you get it about right. I’ve only got 2 MP40’s in my Red Sea tank, and they are about 2/3 up from the bottom and also agitate the water surface
Thanks. I will try to move them up to about 2/3 like you mentioned. Place one in the middle of the back then two on sides...Ill try that too. My only concern then is a dead spot on my two back corners for detris to settle. Maybe I'm over thinking it

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a lot of mp40s lol, is this an SPS tank? If not or if your shooting for mixed reef it might be overkill.

if you want the high flow In a lagoon style tank like that you’ll prob have to get heavier sand or go bare bottom

OP
OP
W

WaderJames1983!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a lot of mp40s lol, is this an SPS tank? If not or if your shooting for mixed reef it might be overkill.

if you want the high flow In a lagoon style tank like that you’ll prob have to get heavier sand or go bare bottom
Hmm. I plan for it to be mixed. As of right now, its mainly zoas and a few torches. Its 39" wide is why I thought three MP40’s would be needed. Its almost a 4 foot cube. Will only two MP40’s be able to keep detris out of the corners? Thanks for your input!

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I plan for it to be mixed. As of right now, its mainly zoas and a few torches. Its 39" wide is why I thought three MP40’s would be needed. Its almost a 4 foot cube. Will only two MP40’s be able to keep detris out of the corners? Thanks for your input!
Well I guess you can experiment around with them and worse case if you have one too many sell it...

I have one Mp40 in a 24” cube and even on low it’s too much for the torches. Yeah it’s deff gonna blow sand around in your shallow tank if you turn them up though

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back