Good inexpensive RO/DI system?

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers,
For the last year I’ve been running without a RODI for water. I think it’s time to voted the bullet and look into one . My only requirement is that it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. Maybe just an arm. I’ve got an SR60 at this time. Just used distilled water for my 30 that I had. I’ve been doing ok mostly but I want to start to try acros more seriously and think that I’ll need to step up my water quality game. Thanks in advance for any help in making a decision.

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my system from https://filterdirect.com/
I got the the ar125 which has dual output ro drinking water and ro+di for the tank. It's a 6 stage system with a small pressure tank and counter top faucet for the drinking water. It has worked great and the costs, even replacement filters, have been very reasonable.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what your definition of inexpensive is.
My vote would be to at least get one that uses standard 10" x 2" cartridges for all of the non-RO stages.

For budget you could always start with a 4 stage and add on more if/when you decide it's worth it.

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what your definition of inexpensive is.
My vote would be to at least get one that uses standard 10" x 2" cartridges for all of the non-RO stages.

For budget you could always start with a 4 stage and add on more if/when you decide it's worth it.
Pretty much under 175-200. Four stage might be best option for now. It’ll be better than no rodi at all.

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my system from https://filterdirect.com/
I got the the ar125 which has dual output ro drinking water and ro+di for the tank. It's a 6 stage system with a small pressure tank and counter top faucet for the drinking water. It has worked great and the costs, even replacement filters, have been very reasonable.
Thanks I’ll look at their site.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your timing isn't ideal since all of the holiday "sales" are likely over (black Friday, cyber Monday, whatever)
BRS had some decent sales that looked good to me in that price range but over now.

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Uses standard cartridges and includes refillable DI canister (but no additional resin). Plug and play.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with the simplest 75GPD 5-stage from BRS, the one without any meters. It's $230 right now. You get two carbon blocks, and you can add another DI stage later, or even add two and upgrade to separate cation and anion stages.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey fellow reefers,
For the last year I’ve been running without a RODI for water. I think it’s time to voted the bullet and look into one . My only requirement is that it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. Maybe just an arm. I’ve got an SR60 at this time. Just used distilled water for my 30 that I had. I’ve been doing ok mostly but I want to start to try acros more seriously and think that I’ll need to step up my water quality game. Thanks in advance for any help in making a decision.
Im not keen on ro buddie units especially with sealed cartridges. Units that are effective and low cost are:
BRS 4 stage units
Air -water-ice Typhoon
Spectrapure
Ice Cap

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not keen on ro buddie units especially with sealed cartridges. Units that are effective and low cost are:
BRS 4 stage units
Air -water-ice Typhoon
Spectrapure
Ice Cap
Agreed. I run BRS 6 stage and have been happy with it.
Not in the market right now so no idea about price competition but if I were looking now, I'd also consider "Buckeye Hydro" who's a member here with lots of informative posts and, when I last looked, some pretty well thought out systems.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air Water Ice and Buckeye Hydro both have RODI systems with standard filter sizes for about 150 bucks. My Air Water Ice unit has been fine for 18 years, just replacing filters as needed.

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are willing to nudge up 50 bucks more, you can get a 4 stage from brs when they go on sale
Yeah I’ve thought about that. I’ve gotten a number things through them.

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the cheap route and got a chinese made 5 stage and slowly but surely I have changed every part out one by one until now I have the full BRS 7 stage with booster pump, pressure gauge, and pretty much all the bells and whistles. What I found the hard way is yes, a cheap Chinese 5 stage can make 0tds water under $100 but if you have pretty bad tap water ( mine is about 340tds) and you make a lot of water (I have a 200g and do weekly water changes plus 2 nanos) you will burn through filter and DI resin crazy fast. Long story short spend more money up front and save more long term when it comes to RODI systems.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your chloramines or whatever they're called that some water utilities like to add?

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your timing isn't ideal since all of the holiday "sales" are likely over (black Friday, cyber Monday, whatever)
BRS had some decent sales that looked good to me in that price range but over now.
Yeah I know, but at least I’ve got holiday pay and OT for the next month at least. I’ll keep my eyes open for any email flyers for sure

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your chloramines or whatever they're called that some water utilities like to add?
Not sure of actual levels but can’t be too horrible since my water is acceptable to my Discus when treated using Fritz.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back