Good lighting for a Pico?

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2.7 pico cube and looking for relatively budget friendly light.
I am planning on having pest corals (kenya, xenia, GSP..) and possibly some zoas.
Something sleek and modern looking would be a big plus!

Suggestions please?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abi tuna 12 w is the ticket search Amazon

Top picos are using it, cheapest out there. I prefer it's lighting to my 260.00 kessil but the kessil looks nicer on form factor so I'll keep it

A twenty dollar light beats my kessil in terms of coral growth and looks for pics :)

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should think that one of those PAR38 reef LEDs would work well on that size of tank for softies. Or something like a Beamswork Evo.

I used an 18W Evolution Aqua iNano LED in my old pico, and it grew SPS including acros no problem. Looked awesome as well, only real issue was that it beeped every 10 seconds for around 20 mins when you switched it on ;Wideyed

5331b209efeea.jpg

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By my calculations, that a cube of 8.5" or so, right?

A flashlight would do it.

Seriously, if you can wire up a single gu10 socket (first photo) to ordinary AC power, then one of these will do it. Two if you want to mix colors (one or two blues with one cool white) without special ordering a bulb.
kwxcss1350370505383.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Sockets cost 50¢ to $1. Bulbs cost from $1-$7. I wired my first ones to the end of an extension cord from which I had removed the female end....add wire nuts....you're in business! So even if you go for the 2 bluw:1 white formula and don't find the absolute cheapest bulbs or sockets, and get three bulbs/sockets, and buy a $5 extension cord to sacrifice, you're only into it for $15 or so. Hard to call that a bad DIY experiment even if you end up not liking it.

I'd look for 30º lenses and watts to be <5.

A single 3-watt emitter is fine too, but there seems to be a limited selection of lenses for these.

More wattage is OK for the tank, but I'd worry about the longevity of the bulbs.

FWIW, I've been growing for

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely not as easy as just plugging in a ready-made fixture, but it really is darned close! By far the easiest DIY I've done so far. :)

DavidMc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abi tuna 12 w is the ticket search Amazon

Top picos are using it, cheapest out there. I prefer it's lighting to my 260.00 kessil but the kessil looks nicer on form factor so I'll keep it

A twenty dollar light beats my kessil in terms of coral growth and looks for pics :)

Don't mean to intrude on the thread, but I was llooking for the same thing for a 3g pico. Was looking at this light on Amazon but I can only fid it in blue lights. Is that the same one you are talking about?

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, probably is.

The seller sent me a new light due to my previous disappointed review.. the new light they sent was too white and washed all out (Also in the $20 range).

got the Coral Compulsion ($80), and like it much better. smaller bulb and not too white or blue. Sure, the blue will make the corals pop more, but it didn't make the rocks or anything else look "natural" to me. So far my zoas and GSP is responding very well to CoralCompusulsion.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh.. the seller stated in email "I sent a new bulb based on your review and this should do better. Please consider removing the negative review" on Amazon. Just tells me that they try to do right, but doubt most of those reviews are honest

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back