Good Protein Skimmer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Trustyworm
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Trustyworm

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 31, 2024
Messages
94
Reaction score
21
Location
San Jose
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run a Somatic 60s. It was okay, not the best to tune easy. But once tuned all good. For my new tank I’m running a Octo 150int. In three days a brand new skimmer started doing its job without an issue! And so easy to tune and manage! Would never go back to lower end units.
 
I used to run a Somatic 60s. It was okay, not the best to tune easy. But once tuned all good. For my new tank I’m running a Octo 150int. In three days a brand new skimmer started doing its job without an issue! And so easy to tune and manage! Would never go back to lower end units.
I don't have a sump for those skimmers. That's why I wanted to know if I could use this one instead, since it has a hang on the back skimmer. I know sumps are the best, but due to complications and etc I can't.
 
Last edited:
I don't have a sump for those skimmers. That's why I wanted to know if I could use this one instead, since it has a hang on the back skimmer. I know sumps are the best, but due to complications and etc I can't.


Ahh okay you're in need to make your tank a AIO basically. Yes that is an option for sure without changing out tanks. Cant say how good it works. I have a IM lagoon tank that is a AIO unit. I'm running a MiniQ Nano skimmer... works like a beast. But the particular unit you're looking at I cant say much about. Looks to be a nice product. Try YT videos.
 
I like the aquaready hob skimmers, I've been using them for years without issue.
 
Do you guys know any good hob skimmers for the 75 gallon aqueon. I just realized that the skimmer I was planning on getting only fits 0.75 inch rims.
 
I had the hf-m on a 40 breeder, but the mounting hooks aren't great and barely fit over the rim. It didn't take much for the body to crack making it useless
You'd be better off with the aquamaxx hob 1.5 of you're going to stick with hang on gear
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new