Good starter tank?

theronin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a line on a 55 gallon glass tank, with full stand, and a 20 gal sump. Includes T5 lights, all fans, and all the goodies.

Is 20 gallons too small for the sump? What should I look for when I go to inspect the tank?

Feel free to drop anymore knowledge on me that you feel is appropriate, thanks Logan

preston469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first I'd ask why he is getting rid of the tank and if he has any issues with it such as out breaks and what not. 20G sump is plenty big on a 55 Gal. I'd look at all the seams make sure it doesn't leak, also how old the tank is.

EndlessReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preston makes all very good points!
I would just like to add that I would also ask if its possible to see them both holding water. Not to replace a water test if you choose to buy it but will at least give you an idea if the seams are completely dry rotted. When ever I'm craiglist hunting if they will not show the tank filled up I won't go look at it....a couple dollars saved isn't worth the headache of needing to reseal everything when I'm newish to the hobby resealing a tank at the moment is more trouble then its worth...at least to me.
As far as 55g and a 20g sump sounds like a very good beginner system

OP
OP
theronin

theronin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is full and running. Buyer knew experienced people would want to see. She is getting rid of it cause she is going bigger. How do I check for rot?

OP
OP
theronin

theronin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1406695559155.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1406695571981.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1406695582225.jpg

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, I would personally get rid of some of the rock in the DT, it will give you more room for coral to grow, and more swimming space as well.

OP
OP
theronin

theronin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are the pix she sent me. I'm just trying to set up a meeting with her now.

EndlessReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's full and running wouldn't think rot would be an issue rot to my knowledge comes from sitting and letting the silicone dry out won't happen if it's filled and was never left to air out and be exposed to elements

gacolt

JEEP STUFF
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo i would pass,but im not a fan of overflow box setups you should be able to find a cheap rr tank on CL no problem.heck i have 85g rr tank for sale now for 35.00 which includes a 75 gallon sump i know that does you no good since you more then likely dont live in atlanta,but im just saying deals are out there all the time for better tanks unless your getting the tank 150.00 or less

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest regret with my first tank is not having one that was drilled with a built in overflow. Never again will I waste my time with over flow boxes.

OP
OP
theronin

theronin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo i would pass,but im not a fan of overflow box setups you should be able to find a cheap rr tank on CL no problem.heck i have 85g rr tank for sale now for 35.00 which includes a 75 gallon sump i know that does you no good since you more then likely dont live in atlanta,but im just saying deals are out there all the time for better tanks unless your getting the tank 150.00 or less
Overflow box setup? Sorry I'm still learning, care to explain.

Oh and thank you for the input.

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overflow box setup? Sorry I'm still learning, care to explain.

Oh and thank you for the input.

From the looks of it, he is saying that this tank is not drilled, it is using a hang on back overflow box, those are known to be problems, do some googling or searching on here. I didn't catch that right away either, I would drill this tank if you get it.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how does one tell that it has an overflow box? the tank looks decent to me - how much is she asking for it?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The overflow boxes can be a pain as they are more prone to overflowing on the OUTSIDE of your tank and require more maintenance to keep clean and functional than a drilled tank. It also looks like the person selling it has a Blue and Yellow Tang in a 55 gallon. Not sure if the fish come with the tank, but he would need to rehome that Blue for sure.

reefertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over flow box works fine but I agree. I regret as well not getting a drilled tank. But if the price is right????

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back