Good upgrade for $$$ & other questions?

Wicksy24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I'm currently running an Evo 13.5 with a AI 16HD and would like to upgrade to something bigger. Someone on marketplace locally has a Aquatlantis Aquaview 92 with sump, bubblemagnus 3.5 skimmer, 9.5 mag drive return pump, & 300w fluval heater for $1200 CAD, is this a good value?

If I go through with the purchase I'd get another 16HD, should this be sufficient lighting? I'd like to completely tank transfer but start over with a new rock scape, also debating going bare bottom. Could I put my current rock in the sump and not worry about a cycle?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Screenshot_20210307-200142_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210307-200236_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210307-193853_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will still be a cycle. However not like starting from scratch. Depending on what type of coral you want will decide if one more light is good enough.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R btw!

OP
OP
Wicksy24

Wicksy24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will still be a cycle. However not like starting from scratch. Depending on what type of coral you want will decide if one more light is good enough.
Thank you! I'm not thinking anything SPS. I'm loving the looks of just a bubble tip tank but more than likely will just be a mix of soft and LPS.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used that light however if wanting to keep nems may want to consider a T5 hybrid to go with it. Might as well while upgrading right? That will give you all the light you need for nems and everything else.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank you are looking at getting is clean, then it seems like a good deal to me. I would plan on upgrading the return pump right off the bat and definitely replace the heater. I would also replace the plumbing, go hard PVC. If your current tank is solid and you don't have any pests, I would add the rock right in the DT and also add some more. After a month you could pull out the old rock and replace with new. If you wanted to do something like an NSA I would still add the original rock around the bottom. You can swap out the rock later. You can also always add sand, where as removing it can lead to a full on system crash. If your tank does cycle, it is usually a minicycle.
I say get the bigger tank.

OP
OP
Wicksy24

Wicksy24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank you are looking at getting is clean, then it seems like a good deal to me. I would plan on upgrading the return pump right off the bat and definitely replace the heater. I would also replace the plumbing, go hard PVC. If your current tank is solid and you don't have any pests, I would add the rock right in the DT and also add some more. After a month you could pull out the old rock and replace with new. If you wanted to do something like an NSA I would still add the original rock around the bottom. You can swap out the rock later. You can also always add sand, where as removing it can lead to a full on system crash. If your tank does cycle, it is usually a minicycle.
I say get the bigger tank.
Thanks for the input! Do you think this Jebao will be sufficient? I also would like to buy another inkbird controller and get two new heaters, any advice as to which heaters to go with?

I watched YouTube videos on hard plumbing all night seems like a project but relatively easy enough and beneficial. Going to price everything out once I have the tank in front of me and can draw up plans.

Unfortunately my Evo has some aptasia I'm still trying to get under control, so as of now I don't want to add it in the display.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210308-095521_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210308-095521_Chrome.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 14

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! Do you think this Jebao will be sufficient? I also would like to buy another inkbird controller and get two new heaters, any advice as to which heaters to go with?

I watched YouTube videos on hard plumbing all night seems like a project but relatively easy enough and beneficial. Going to price everything out once I have the tank in front of me and can draw up plans.

Unfortunately my Evo has some aptasia I'm still trying to get under control, so as of now I don't want to add it in the display.
Don’t add it. Keep it separate and maybe try to breed berghia nudibranchs. You might be able to make a few bucks. Jaebo pumps work, but for how long. PVC or silicone tubing would work. PVC is cheap, but the valves and unions can add up. Don’t get cheap ones. They will freeze up on you. Use a gate valve, not a ball valve, on the drain. A gate valve is fine on the return. Run about a foot of silicone tubing from return pump to a barbed fitting in PVC. It will help your tank be silent and makes it much easier to line up and clean.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back