Starting a new tank vs. transferring live rock

highpoint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First post here. My son won a goldfish at the fair in October and all roads have lead to reefing.

Started off in a 13.5 Fluval and ran out of room real fast (fowlr tank). Wanted to go small nano to deal with the pain a bit quicker to see how much I can handle before upgrading to a bigger tank.

I have two clowns (great happy pair: black storm and wyoming white), royal gramma and a tiny candy cane pistol shrimp and shrimp goby who have both disappeared since day 1 (been a week).

Cycling the tank went well. Did a cycle with the clown fish added day 2 after adding live sand and quick start.

A few days ago, I noticed white spots on my royal gramma (who is very skiddish and took a couple of weeks to come out of his cave) which made him start hiding in his cave again and refusing food. Started dosing Herbtana the same day and the next day he was looking much better (spots gone) and moving around the tank again.

I know this is not an ich cure and that it does not remove ich from the tank. My question is actually about my next upgraded tank (IM Nuvo Fusion 40L) and transferring fish and live rock. What is the best way to do this without transferring the ich into the new tank without having to cycle again? Current tank is almost two months old.

Future plan for the 13.5 Fluval is to make it a quarantine tank. I want to focus mainly on disease prevention moving forward. Some say its unavoidable for disease to eventually get inside the tank but I'd like to keep as disease free and as easily maintainable as possible... for as long as possible.

Thanks everyone.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First post here. My son won a goldfish at the fair in October and all roads have lead to reefing.

Started off in a 13.5 Fluval and ran out of room real fast (fowlr tank). Wanted to go small nano to deal with the pain a bit quicker to see how much I can handle before upgrading to a bigger tank.

I have two clowns (great happy pair: black storm and wyoming white), royal gramma and a tiny candy cane pistol shrimp and shrimp goby who have both disappeared since day 1 (been a week).

Cycling the tank went well. Did a cycle with the clown fish added day 2 after adding live sand and quick start.

A few days ago, I noticed white spots on my royal gramma (who is very skiddish and took a couple of weeks to come out of his cave) which made him start hiding in his cave again and refusing food. Started dosing Herbtana the same day and the next day he was looking much better (spots gone) and moving around the tank again.

I know this is not an ich cure and that it does not remove ich from the tank. My question is actually about my next upgraded tank (IM Nuvo Fusion 40L) and transferring fish and live rock. What is the best way to do this without transferring the ich into the new tank without having to cycle again? Current tank is almost two months old.

Future plan for the 13.5 Fluval is to make it a quarantine tank. I want to focus mainly on disease prevention moving forward. Some say its unavoidable for disease to eventually get inside the tank but I'd like to keep as disease free and as easily maintainable as possible... for as long as possible.

Thanks everyone.
In this case, I'd transfer rock and inverts to the new tank and keep it fallow for the appropriate amount of time. Leave the fish in the current tank and treat with a copper product. Be sure to remove anything from the treatment tank that can reduce the amount of copper in the water (aragonite sand, etc).

Last edited:
OP
OP
highpoint

highpoint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this case, I'd transfer rock and inverts to the new tank and keep it fallow for the appropriate amount of time. Leave the fish in the current tank and treat with a copper product. Be sure to remove anything from the treatment tank that can reduce the amount of copper in the water (aragonite sand, etc).

Thanks, this was what I had in mind but how long should we leave the new tank fallow. Also, should I transfer the sand as well? It’s not a lot.. about 2” in a 13.5gal Fluval and its not even 2 months inside there yet.

I have also read somewhere about raising the temperature to kill off the ich in the fallow, any truth to that?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, this was what I had in mind but how long should we leave the new tank fallow. Also, should I transfer the sand as well? It’s not a lot.. about 2” in a 13.5gal Fluval and its not even 2 months inside there yet.

I have also read somewhere about raising the temperature to kill off the ich in the fallow, any truth to that?
The disease forum has tons of information on fallow protocols.

You will need to remove the sand from the treatment tank. When you do this, see how gross it is (it doesn't take long!). Personally I'd invest in new sand. If you reuse it, it's probably best to rinse it really well. Since you won't be transferring the fish, the new cycle the dirty sand might cause probably won't hurt anything (corals are fine with some ammonia), but why take the chance?

*Also, plan on transferring the fish to a bucket or other container while you remove the sand and rocks ... again, the water might get pretty dirty. I'd just drain out a few gallons and put the fish in this water. You can also use new saltwater that's the same salinity and temp.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is no sponge or similar filter media already in the 13.5 gallon, you can add one for a while and then keep it in the tank when you remove the rocks, to keep some of the biofilter. Even if you do this, be prepared to test for ammonia and do water changes if needed... Without the rock and sand, the majority of the nitrifying bacteria will be gone (and not have a lot of real estate to colonize).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back