Goodbye Gumdrop

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My shot at rescuing a poor mandarin has failed. He lasted a good while and actually started to feed on frozen food, however he was just too sick when I got him and is succumbing to his illnesses as we speak. I came to check on him and he was losing most of his color and breathing extremely hard so I don’t think he’ll make it to the morning. He is obviously suffering, and didn’t have the strength to fight whatever he had, so I’m going to leave him overnight, and see what I can do in the morning. It doesn’t look like ich, more so just loss of color.
IMG_6631.jpeg

wheels4896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My shot at rescuing a poor mandarin has failed. He lasted a good while and actually started to feed on frozen food, however he was just too sick when I got him and is succumbing to his illnesses as we speak. I came to check on him and he was losing most of his color and breathing extremely hard so I don’t think he’ll make it to the morning. He is obviously suffering, and didn’t have the strength to fight whatever he had, so I’m going to leave him overnight, and see what I can do in the morning. It doesn’t look like ich, more so just loss of color.
IMG_6631.jpeg
They do lose their color when going to sleep. Completely normal even though it makes them look dead. Understand the concern, especially given this situation. Best of luck with him :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
image.jpg

IMG_6631.jpeg

This is him tonight

IMG_6601.jpeg

IMG_6583.jpeg

Regularly
Mandarins are hit and miss. Eating frozen food always an accomplishment but also eating the right foods is essential. I do see the fish per your pics is quite thin which often contributes to a decline in health. There is white patching also seen which points to either skin issue such as bacterial. A well fed mandarin will have a ball shaped stomach

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins are hit and miss. Eating frozen food always an accomplishment but also eating the right foods is essential. I do see the fish per your pics is quite thin which often contributes to a decline in health. There is white patching also seen which points to either skin issue such as bacterial. A well fed mandarin will have a ball shaped stomach
Yeah, I got him from the store like this and have a tank full of pods hoping to fatten him up so I promise it’s not me starving him. Update this morning he seems to be back to full color and is hopping around the rocks like normal. I think it was just him sleeping that I didn’t know they turned white and lifeless at night! Here’s a pic from this morning, definitely looks better
IMG_6637.jpeg

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep him fed well. Hopefully he’ll fatten up

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah, I got him from the store like this and have a tank full of pods hoping to fatten him up so I promise it’s not me starving him. Update this morning he seems to be back to full color and is hopping around the rocks like normal. I think it was just him sleeping that I didn’t know they turned white and lifeless at night! Here’s a pic from this morning, definitely looks better
IMG_6637.jpeg
Yes they fade in color at night and even have a mucus webbing around them. Work on fattening it up as they eat constantly throughout the day and pods should satisfy him through the day

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back