Goodbye Turf Algae/GHA! • Before and After Treatments

bwomac44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before and After Pics Seen Below

I had terrible Turf/GHA problems developing in my tank.
This was due to my dosing Nitrates and Phosphates to keep Dinos away following a few Dino outbreaks. It worked. Algae out competed the Dinos, but was beginning to take over my tank.
All I needed for the Dinos was a UV sterilzer, which I should have just spent the money on upfront. Dino problem solved.
But now a terrible Turf/GHA problem. I believe there were several kinds of nuisance algaes taking hold, but the Turf was the worst.
I would manually remove the algae in weekly water changes once it was long enough to easily pull out, but this was not going to solve the problem.

I am generally nervous about dosing unnatural things into my tank, but I'm glad I did.
I removed as much of the algae as I could and then dosed FluxRX once (no water change after for 3 weeks), and then a second dose following that water change that took place at the 3 week mark.
This reduced ~75% of the algae. What was left was weak.
I then dosed Vibrant a week or so after the second Flucconazole dose. This made it so that 90% of the original algae was gone.
I dosed vibrant once a week after this and now every two weeks. >95% of the algae is gone now. And the rest is slowly fading with these biweekly vibrant doses.

FluxRX and Vibrant were a great combination. Make sure you do your research and watch your nutrients and other parameters throughout the process.
Most of my SPS frags made it through all this fine. Lost a few pieces due to a few different stress factors in my tank (like algae growing onto them, lighting changes, the list goes on), but the clear majority made it.

I will likely stop dosing vibrant once the turf algae is entirely gone.
I thought I may stop since there is only a little left, but I noticed at about 2.5 weeks after my last dose that the little algae that remained was greening up and likely coming back.
I will continue until it is all destroyed!!
It is an amazing feeling and I just wanted to share this story to encourage those going through such issues!

Before and After Pics 2.5 months apart
IMG_0443.JPG
IMG_0444.JPG
IMG_0445.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toothbrush toothbrush toothbrush

Water change

Toothbrush toothbrush toothbrush

Water change

Repeatedly attack those rocks in the tank mercilessly and do a 10% waterchange after each session. The water should look like tea. Get as much off as you can and then add a few turbo (3-4) or trochus snails (6-8) to attack the rest. Now that you have dinos beat, the goal is to make the rock surfaces as inhospitable to algae as possible through manual removal and having stuff eating it. While you’re at it, you can absolutely add vibrant and on top of that, a little bit of vinegar to spur bacterial growth and get those freshly cleaned rock surfaces covered in bacteria.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back