1000005694.jpg
17058565401896443669582204748266.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know gorgonians reasonably well. I see and collect some in the Florida Keys when I snorkel. But based on those photos, I'd be had pressed to even try a guess. Sorry.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahaha I guess we will know more in a year when its fully grown.

How do I know if I have to feed it?

Interesting gorg. I keep different types of photosynthetic gorgonians, and I don’t recognize this one. I agree with Ron and would be hesitant to guess.

When you got it, was it labeled as photosynthetic or NPS?

For photosynthetic gorgs, they appreciate a lot of flow, and even though they can get some nutrition via photosynthesis, they still benefit from pretty regular feeding. If it’s an NPS, you’ll need to feed very often.

If you aren’t sure, then I would think waiting to see how it acts at night vs daytime to maybe get a hint. Most of my photosynthetic gorgs don’t have much polyp extension at night, whereas NPS gorgs I’ve had in the past really come alive at night.

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting gorg. I keep different types of photosynthetic gorgonians, and I don’t recognize this one. I agree with Ron and would be hesitant to guess.

When you got it, was it labeled as photosynthetic or NPS?

For photosynthetic gorgs, they appreciate a lot of flow, and even though they can get some nutrition via photosynthesis, they still benefit from pretty regular feeding. If it’s an NPS, you’ll need to feed very often.

If you aren’t sure, then I would think waiting to see how it acts at night vs daytime to maybe get a hint. Most of my photosynthetic gorgs don’t have much polyp extension at night, whereas NPS gorgs I’ve had in the past really come alive at night.
It was someone on Facebook, he said he had some, cut me two frags and I forgot to ask but I think he didn't know.

The polyps stay open regardless of day/night cycle. But they do look a bit retracted.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The polyps look like that of a purple candelabra but those things are purple regardless of the lighting, not just under blues. Regardless gorgonians are awesome. Enjoy

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 89 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back