Gorgonian ID

FunWithFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I picked up a new gorgonian today and wanted to see if anyone could give me an ID as to the species. The store said they weren't sent any information with the piece outside of that it was a gorgonian.

I know there are non-photosynthetic species, so I asked how long they had had it. They said 3ish weeks, and it still looked very healthy, so I assume it must be photosynthesizing.

I just love the look of it and want to make sure I can take good care of it.

20220501_181102_1651443132224.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey everyone, I picked up a new gorgonian today and wanted to see if anyone could give me an ID as to the species. The store said they weren't sent any information with the piece outside of that it was a gorgonian.

I know there are non-photosynthetic species, so I asked how long they had had it. They said 3ish weeks, and it still looked very healthy, so I assume it must be photosynthesizing.

I just love the look of it and want to make sure I can take good care of it.

20220501_181102_1651443132224.png
Rumphella aggregata

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That species is non photosynthetic unfortunately

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a yellow or orange finger nps gorgonian. Did the seller not say?

OP
OP
FunWithFishes

FunWithFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, sadly they weren't sure what kind it was. Looking at some pics, I think you guys are right. That's unfortunate, but that'll show me for buying something unknown.

I'll take it back this week.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So neither of those shared its colors. It's got a deep purple trunk, and brown/orange polyps.
If you're sure it's nps and based on the color you just said lookup Red Sea Finger (which can be purple looking). Your pic looked yellow/orange. NPS are notoriously difficult because they don't use light for food so they have to be fed quite a bit (small meals throughout the day). Often people end up polluting their tanks trying to keep them fed. The best solution is an automatic feeder. It sounds like you're taking it back which wise. There are plenty of photosynthetic gorgs if you want a gorg.

OP
OP
FunWithFishes

FunWithFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're sure it's nps and based on the color you just said lookup Red Sea Finger (which can be purple looking). Your pic looked yellow/orange. NPS are notoriously difficult because they don't use light for food so they have to be fed quite a bit (small meals throughout the day). Often people end up polluting their tanks trying to keep them fed. The best solution is an automatic feeder. It sounds like you're taking it back which wise. There are plenty of photosynthetic gorgs if you want a gorg.
20220501_185658.jpg

I added another image with my blues off. To me, it looks like the NPS golden gorgonian. Would be interested to hear if you agree.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220501_185658.jpg

I added another image with my blues off. To me, it looks like the NPS golden gorgonian. Would be interested to hear if you agree.
Yes, possibly. They're pretty much all the same, just different names based on their color and they'll often go by more than one name. That's when it helps to have the scientific name to pinpoint the type. :) They are beautiful corals. Too bad they're such a pain to take care of. :)

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220501_185658.jpg

Most if not all gorgonians with colouration are nps. The photosynthetic gorgonians normally come in pale and brown colours.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not appear to be photosynthetic, and is likely a Golden gorgonian. NPS gorgonians are quite difficult to care for and requires near constant food to survive.
I often feed a blend of phytoplankton (Shellfish diet by Reed Mariculture, phyto blend from Brine shrimp direct) and small particle powdered foods. They will not be able to consume any larger foods

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like Menella sp. It is a non-photosynthetic gorgonian but is one of the easier to keep species. If you take time to feed it then you’ll be able to enjoy it for years to come. :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back