Gorgonian Shedding Lasting Weeks Now

RainboWBacoN420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,
I've had this beautiful orange NPS gorgonian for probably almost two months now. For the first two weeks, I was having really good luck with it. It's polyps were always out, always willing to take food from target feeding a mix of PhytoFeast, Rotifers and Reef Chili.
Over the past three weeks, though, its polyps have barely ever been out, it seems to still be alive. It's not rotting or anything. I know they shed, and I believe that's what it's doing, but for this long? I think it's having trouble shedding, today after doing a water change I kinda helped its shed come off, and I've noticed the polyps ever so slowly beginning to peak out. So I'm wondering if I should help it further?
I'd like to hear some other reefers experiences with these NPS gorge and see if there's any similar situations.
Thank you!

OP
OP
RainboWBacoN420

RainboWBacoN420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They used to look so beautiful before they began the shed. They actually weren't out like this at the store until I put them in my tank.

IMG_20161230_005924600.jpg

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. We have a gorg in our office tank consuming a very similar diet. I'm interested to know more about "shedding'. Cheers

Last edited:
OP
OP
RainboWBacoN420

RainboWBacoN420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helped it shed last night some more, I turned up the flow on my MP10 and kinda brushed it off with my fingers very gently. Checked on it this morning and I could see at least ten polyps starting to peak out. Couldn't stay long enough to see if they'd all come out, but I see this as improvement.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also mention that I'm using Reef Nutrition: PhytoFeast and Rotifers. All my corals love your products. [emoji3]
me too.

Its all about flow. where these animals live its big strong mostly laminar flow with large surges. That animal should be almost being knocked over with flow unfortunately, or a more Acropora SPS flow in strength. but where Acro want turbulance(look how its shaped thats kek) these need more laminar, as the mouths need to have food shoved into them. That type of flow not only delivers Alkalinity to the animal for bone construction but also removes the shed as its likely its waste(poop), and protection from bacterial and organic build up., and also Oxygen uptake. Id theorize its likely excess shedding due to partial asphyxiation due to lack of removal and arganis build up., or the shed amount is normal in the wild.
looking at the picture It looks like some cyano has taken hold, possibly feeding from higher numbers but more likely dissolved organics not being removed and the bacteria is feeding directly from the organics and the gas being produced as it rots (co2).

OP
OP
RainboWBacoN420

RainboWBacoN420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks
There's no cyano, I don't know what you're mistaking it for in the picture, but I've never had cyano and my nitrates and phosphates are always next to nothing.
And like I said, the polyps were all out on the first day I got it, the moment I put it in my tank it seemed super happy.
But I think it'll do much better now that I turned up the flow. I forgot what setting it's on now, but it's a pulsating flow that surges every now and then. I also repositioned it so it's exposed to more turbulence.
I'll keep its progress updated.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks
There's no cyano, I don't know what you're mistaking it for in the picture, but I've never had cyano and my nitrates and phosphates are always next to nothing.
And like I said, the polyps were all out on the first day I got it, the moment I put it in my tank it seemed super happy.
But I think it'll do much better now that I turned up the flow. I forgot what setting it's on now, but it's a pulsating flow that surges every now and then. I also repositioned it so it's exposed to more turbulence.
I'll keep its progress updated.
ok, the pic looks a bit red on the stalks. pretty common. Its a really hard animal to keep alive.

OP
OP
RainboWBacoN420

RainboWBacoN420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm aware they're difficult, I've been keeping a few filter feeders but the gorgonians have been the trickiest so far.
But I do get that a lot when I show pics of my tank, everyone calls out cyano when there's really no cyano at all.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm aware they're difficult, I've been keeping a few filter feeders but the gorgonians have been the trickiest so far.
But I do get that a lot when I show pics of my tank, everyone calls out cyano when there's really no cyano at all.
yea, maybe just a trick of the light and camera.

OP
OP
RainboWBacoN420

RainboWBacoN420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
My Gorgonians have been doing very well since the shed has come off. Starting four days ago, I've been seeing more activity. For the first couple days, only a few polyps ranging from 10-15 were out at a time, with some of polyps looking very limp and not too active.
But yesterday and especially today, I've seen active responses with every polyp out and perky.
For this course, I continued dosing PhytoFeast, Rotifers and Reef Chili in slightly higher concentrations, and I believe it's helped a lot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RainboWBacoN420

RainboWBacoN420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly but surely poking out... They were all out when I got home, but some of my macro algae dislodged itself from the rocks and got caught in the gorgs... And of course when I got the algae off the polyps retracted...

Last edited:

KrazieKiKi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6-7 different NPS gorgonians and I do a melafix dip on them once every couple months or if I notice polyps not fully extending. It helps heal any issues on the stalks and gets them to open right up after about 20 minutes. I use 1/2 the amount they recommend for a coral dip (moreso a precaution for me) and it has worked for me for a year now.

ReefNewbie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That type of flow not only delivers Alkalinity to the animal for bone construction but also removes the shed as its likely its waste(poop), and protection from bacterial and organic build up.
Don’t gorgonians not build skeletons? Like last I remember their whole thing is they use the protein gorgonin instead so they can withstand that high flow they love.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back