Gosh darn algae

Albeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will someone please share the gosh darn secret to getting rid of green algae. If I do a water change every week it's gone, no problems. But I don't have the time. My tank is only thirty gallons with no sump. Hob skimmer that skims okay but not great. I run chemipure elite or phosban sometimes in the hob filter to try to alleviate the algae but it doesn't help. Each water change I'll scrub the algae off and do a water change and it'll stay gone for like a week and a half and come back. Is carbon in a media reactor, hob, the way to get rid of it for good? To answer your first question, My parameters are normal but yes my phosphate are high, and would be even higher if the algae wasn't using it to grow. Please fill me in.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1393464132.856271.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1393464166.924153.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1393464186.421597.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1393464203.205769.jpg

OP
OP
Albeez

Albeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. nice tank!
2. cut back on feeding will help.

Thanks bud- it's been a lot of fun. I have two clowns a wrasse and hasha yasa gobi. I don't think I feed to much as they eat up what I put in in a matter of 30 seconds or so. Sometimes I wonder if the food is too crushed up though. I'll feed different types of frozen shrimp and sometimes the shrimp is real
small pieces. It looks like they still eat the small pieces and is guess the cuc gets the rest.

OP
OP
Albeez

Albeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering the same thing. Also any windows near by? Big television maybe?

Rodi from the lfs and salt is premixed at the lfs as well. Never tested it with a tds meter. Maybe it's worth getting one?

I do have some windows nearby and big TV. I keep the windows closed for the most part but I have a big jade plants that I keep one window open to give it light. See attached pictures of the set up.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1393465252.658856.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1393465275.908312.jpg

Bradsreeeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah bro those windows might be some of the cause. But i would try feeding dried cyclopeeze, between me switching to feeding the cyclopeeze, protien skimmer and picking of as much as i could. IBEAT IT! Yupp no more algea!If you have a qustion lmk!

OP
OP
Albeez

Albeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha thanks - maybe I'll get some drapes for the windows. Does TV really impact it at all?

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1393467002.095799.jpg

Elchicano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 70 inch tv near mine and have no issues. Unfortunately, its seem like you have found your solution. Constant Water changes. Have you though about adding a sump ? This would allow you to add some macro algae and possibly a better/bigger skimmer.

OP
OP
Albeez

Albeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 70 inch tv near mine and have no issues. Unfortunately, its seem like you have found your solution. Constant Water changes. Have you though about adding a sump ? This would allow you to add some macro algae and possibly a better/bigger skimmer.

Bummer - yeah i don't want to invest in a sump as the tank isn't pre drilled, and I hope at some point I'll upgrade to a bigger tank with a sump. Don't want to dump too much more money into equipment on this one (livestock is a different story). Just trying to find a temp solutions to this algae until I can upgrade.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not the light getting into the tank, I've got direct sunlight in my tank all morning, I don't have any algae growing in my tank. You need a bigger clean up crew that will mow it down, and you need to run more GFO all the time to keep the system clean of phosphates, or run a Lanthanum to remove it, thats up to you, but running it sometimes won't keep it out of the tank.

OP
OP
Albeez

Albeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not the light getting into the tank, I've got direct sunlight in my tank all morning, I don't have any algae growing in my tank. You need a bigger clean up crew that will mow it down, and you need to run more GFO all the time to keep the system clean of phosphates, or run a Lanthanum to remove it, thats up to you, but running it sometimes won't keep it out of the tank.

My clean up crew could use a few extra characters - any suggestions on guys that'll help this specific issue??

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Margarita Snail
Astraea Turbo Snail
Banded Trochus Snail

Additionally, if your not afraid of critters
Sea Hare
Lettuce Sea Slug
Hairy Pincushion Urchin

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try dosing small amounts of vinegar. Since you have a HOB, watch your skimmer as it may increase production of skimmate.

Dog Boy Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut back on your feeding. I mean way back. Maybe stop all together, not sure what fish you got. Add some snails or a tang and be patient. A tang wont stave to death in a tank full of algae. Algae is your friend. If you didn't have active nutrient transport it wouldn't be growing. It grows fast, cycles lots of nutrients. Takes around four months to cycle algae out of dirty tank. Up to a year if its real bad or "crashed".

Last edited:

Elchicano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try the snails as well. Sea hare or slug will work great. Only issue with them is, they will go hungry once they eat all the algae. You will have to add more food to the tank just to keep them fed.

Dog Boy Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florida Fighting Conchs or any other allowable Strombus snails, (Live Queen Conchs, Strombus gigas are forbidden in Fl and maybe other places) are very good sand cleaners.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back