GRACILARIA HAYI - need tips- slow grower

Leko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growing this in my sump under a compact florescent bulb from HD (6k ish). Slow grower.

Any tips? Add Iron for faster growth? Different light?

Side note : I put some in my display (I only run blue spectrum ) and it started to fade under the blue lights.

Thanks in advance,

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get a better light, list what you dose, and list nitrate and phosphate numbers.

OP
OP
L

Leko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help.

I have no fish, so I "feed" the tank ground krill from time to time - moving the nitrates up. I only dose kalk and adjust with 2 part if needed. I mix a 5g bucket with only 1tsp per gallon of kalk and 5mils of vinegar - thats my top off. I have a few plating monti's and birdnest frags (new 75gal) . PH is 8.3-8.4 ,Ca400,MG1350,Alk 9-10,nitrates are <5ppm Phos .06

Is there a specific light spectrum I need for red macro? I know I grew chaeto like crazy using the same bulb on my old tank.

thanks again.

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growing this in my sump under a compact florescent bulb from HD (6k ish). Slow grower.

Any tips? Add Iron for faster growth? Different light?

Side note : I put some in my display (I only run blue spectrum ) and it started to fade under the blue lights.

Thanks in advance,
I found that chaeto gro helps with macro algae…
But red macros are slow growers in general
As long as it’s growing, it’s a win to me

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help.

I have no fish, so I "feed" the tank ground krill from time to time - moving the nitrates up. I only dose kalk and adjust with 2 part if needed. I mix a 5g bucket with only 1tsp per gallon of kalk and 5mils of vinegar - thats my top off. I have a few plating monti's and birdnest frags (new 75gal) . PH is 8.3-8.4 ,Ca400,MG1350,Alk 9-10,nitrates are <5ppm Phos .06

Is there a specific light spectrum I need for red macro? I know I grew chaeto like crazy using the same bulb on my old tank.

thanks again.

You may want to consider dosing aminos or ammonium chloride (or nitrate). It may simply be that there is too little available forms of nitrogen.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back